I Stripped The Caliper Bolts

Old 01-03-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Stripped The Caliper Bolts

I need to remove the calipers to take off the rotor, and to get access to the brakepads. This so-called "simple" task is now leaving me in desperation to replace my pads and rotors. What are my options for removing those bolts/nuts (whichever it is), they're rusted and stripped but still have some grip as I stopped right after noticing they were stripping. I haven't tried much to get them off but brute strength so if you know of any "remedies" that would be great.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't remember if the bolts you're talking about are Allen head or not... If not, these thingies here are one of the best inventions of the 21st century..
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT

Good luck. Oh yeah, if they are Allen, you still might be able to bang one of these things on...

Old 01-03-2006, 05:11 PM
PB Blaster!

Old 01-03-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 98Lariet4x4
I don't remember if the bolts you're talking about are Allen head or not... If not, these thingies here are one of the best inventions of the 21st century..
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT

Good luck. Oh yeah, if they are Allen, you still might be able to bang one of these things on...
They are 6 sided standard heads. PB Blaster is something I haven't heard of but I just checked it out, seems similar to wd-40. I'll see if I can find those. Do those bolt removers ruin the stripped bolts completely?

If someone can get me the part number or a link to the bolts I've stripped, it would be of GREAT help.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes, I wouldn't reuse the bolts unless I was stranded on side of the road somewhere. Try Rockauto.com for the bolts, or give your local Ford dealer a call tommorow. Else I would pull out the bolts and go to a hardware store and get some stainless bolts, they usually have everything I need in that manner.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:57 PM
You can find the bolt removers at Sears, or now K-mart also carries Craftsman.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Yes they are tough too get off,try tapping on them some with a hammer then be sure your tool is in good shape for a tight fit on the bolt head, a lose fit will strip a bolt fast.Spraying will help cut some of the dirt and rust on them. Good luck on your project.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:09 PM

Finally got them off using, get this, vice grips. Anyways, I now can't get the rotor off, parking brake is off, truck is in park, brake fluid container cap is off. It "gives" a little, but only moves very little, won't come off. We've tried hitting it with a hammer, etc. My truck sounds like it's grinding while driving at low speeds and braking just amplifies it so I am replacing the rotors and the pads. I should take a pic of the pads, you'd be surprised how bad they look. There are small chunks taken out of the pads everywhere and the rotors are extremely grooved. I have duralast rotors I am going to put in, my brake pads are Raebesto's ceramics (SP?) though. Just to let you know, this is the rear, not the front.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Beat the hell out of them 'till they give up. Don't be shy.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Wait wait wait. Before beating the hell out of them... did you remove the nut/bearing and everything associated with that in the middle, because that does actually hold the rotor on (or atleast sure as hell helps).

Just double checking. Incase you haven't... remove dustcap (PITA) probably with a screwdriver and a hammer. Then you pull out a cotter pin, remove the um.... whatever it is called, cover for the nut to stop it from moving, remove the nut (something like a 20MM, can't remember), then the large washer, then the bearings. Then you can remove the rotor. Good luck

Old 01-08-2006, 04:37 AM

Took brute force to get these suckers off, and a bit of messing with that gear looking thing inside of the axle (on the backside). I believe it controls the tension on the parking brake, and I believe that may have helped get it off (we spun it quite a few times to help).

Old 01-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I know this won't help you much for taking them out, but when you reassemble use some Loctite hi-temp anti-seize compound on them and you won't have so much trouble next time.

Last edited by istop4red; 01-08-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I Stripped The Caliper Bolts