Adjusting camber.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusting camber.

I have a 1994 F150, and I am lifting it soon. I have the kit in my house, I just need to purchase some shocks. It's a 4'' Trailmaster and I've heard that the only way to adjust the camber after I lift it is to bend the Ibeams? Is this true? Thanks.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:09 AM
lets see....'94, 4x4 has camber caster pucks in the upper ball joints on the axles.

4x2, isn't that king pins? If so, yes there is no adjustment for camber/caster.

I'm not sure I can recommend bending as a fix. The lift kit for a 4x2 should lower the i-beams at the pivot point as well as the spring location maintaining correct camber angle.

Old 11-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
lets see....'94, 4x4 has camber caster pucks in the upper ball joints on the axles.

4x2, isn't that king pins? If so, yes there is no adjustment for camber/caster.

I'm not sure I can recommend bending as a fix. The lift kit for a 4x2 should lower the i-beams at the pivot point as well as the spring location maintaining correct camber angle.
It's 4x4. My friend said that you have to bend the Ibeams. I siad that sounds pretty dumb.

Old 11-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by noob saibot
It's 4x4. My friend said that you have to bend the Ibeams. I siad that sounds pretty dumb.
The I-beam suspension is on 4x2 pickups.

I would leave the castor/camber adjustments to an alignment shop. Just install the lift kit, and adjust them so that its not way out of whack. Then take it to an alignment shop.

Just a question, are you on bikeguide.org?

Old 11-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Back in the day, before eccentric cam kits, yes the normal practice was to heat the I-beams with a torch and bend them. Don't do that, baticus has the right idea, eyeball it close then take it to a good alignment shop. Let them handle the rest.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by baticus
The I-beam suspension is on 4x2 pickups.

I would leave the castor/camber adjustments to an alignment shop. Just install the lift kit, and adjust them so that its not way out of whack. Then take it to an alignment shop.

Just a question, are you on bikeguide.org?
As a matter of fact, I am cyclegrip on bikeguide.org. My friend doesn't think he can adjust camber at his garage cause it will take to long and I might have to pay them or something.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:05 PM
As a matter of fact, I am cyclegrip on bikeguide.org. My friend doesn't think he can adjust camber at his garage cause it will take to long and I might have to pay them or something.

Ok so im the one stuck aligning this thing now that the lifts on, and as any of you know that have aligned one of these it has the wonderfull cams that everyone looks at and goes yup cambers in spec and they havent been moved in the better part of 10 years and look like hell...

Now heres the real good part now that the lifts on camber should be way positive right, thats the tendency of a ttb system.....

They are so negative its unreal..... without even getting it on a machine id say they are an easy 2degrees negative possibly 3....

Im not new to alignments but im new to aligning a ttb thats just been lifted 4 inches... any tips...

If any of this helps its a trailmaster lift, stock radius arms on drop brackets, both traction beam pivot brackets are installed, and i cant think of anything else....

Im doing this alignment on my day off at a busy store and theres no way i can tie up our alignment rack for the better part of the morning wasting my time turning these eccentrics to no avail.. im just curious if theres a better aftermarket camber kit.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Napa sells a double eccentric cam puck that will give everything from 0 degrees to I think 5 degrees. These will keep you from having to buy 1 of each when you go to align it.

Soak the old one in penetrating oil before you head in to the shop. At home or at the shop, after loosening the retaining bolt/nut, you can use a flat hammer bit on an air hammer on the top of the upper ball joint. The alignment puck will lift right up, and then you can remove it with your hands or pliers and install the new one. Don't tighten the new one if you are at the shop, but set it up on the machine, and dial in the adjustment you need then lock it down.

Good luck....it will still be time consuming...

Old 11-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Allright, thanks thats great just what i needed.

I just steped back and saw that the camber was way off the opposite way of what it normally goes and i just kept saying to myself 'oh ****'

I just hope i can get the old cams out and the new ones in before my manager starts yelling about needing a bay. Hard to do free favors and keep the manager happy haha

Old 11-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just took a guess because you posted about getting your lift on there. I would personally just take it to an alignment shop. That way everything is withing spec.

Quick Reply: Adjusting camber.