TrueTrac

Old 10-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TrueTrac

I just installed a TrueTrac in a 9.75 rear end Ford F150. No reviews yet except that highway performance seems great with no vibration or binding of diff. during turns. My truck came with the factory traclok which peformed very poorly even when i purchased the truck new. During extensive testing i could hardly make the factory system pull both rear two wheels at any given time. Obviously traction was very poor. Considering it was time to replace the clutches anyway (110,000 miles) i decided to go a whole different route and try the Truetrac system. I'm going to the mountains this weekend so i'll let everyone know if this units performs any better than the traclok system.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Definately let us know. I'm getting ready to order front and rear gears and front and rear truetracs for mine and I'm curious to know how you like them.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Pre-Load or Non-Pre-Load True Trac

I have had good luck with TrueTrac in 9" Ford diffs. used in dirt track racing. For the 9", TrackTech makes a preloaded version (with springs inside the carrier) and a non-pre-load style carrier.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:01 PM
After initial testing this thing seems to pull both tires very strong. Can't believe how much better the truck goes up hill in 2x2. I did notice that turning sharp into a steep incline caused one rear tire to not lock up. When this happened i could hear a whinning noise coming from the rear end. Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 10-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1sawtooth
After initial testing this thing seems to pull both tires very strong. Can't believe how much better the truck goes up hill in 2x2

you mean 4x2 right?

Old 10-20-2005, 08:00 PM
Ooops... Your correct I did mean 2x4.

2nd review:

I did more testing this past weekend and had mixed results. As before the normal straight up hill pull was awesome. Both tires pulled together and strong just like a locker. The thing that really impresses me is that the system seems to act much quicker than any conventional clutch type limited slip i've ever tested. In most all cases there is NO one tire wheel slip in order to get the unit activated. I can tell this by driving the truck and having someone look at both tires while outside of the vehicle.

Now for the problem:
The second test involved going along side a deep rut and turning directly into it in order to get one tire in the air. I did this knowing this a weakness of this type limited slip. In this situation when one tire has much less traction the system sends all power to the tire with least traction. Anyway, it did as expected and only spun the tire in the air. Surprisingly, i also heard a horribly loud whinning or squeal coming from the differential. At this point i'm worried that something is damaged or the unit has been installed incorrectly. Thinking maybe I did something wrong I tired once more but this time I also applied the brake (not parking brake) and still had both the noise and one wheel spinning problems. At this point i'm very disappointed and decided to head home.

The next day I contacted TracTech and was asked if i was using a synthetic based oil. I told them yes and that it was Aimsoil (spelling?). He told me that I should use NON-synthetic oils only and that changing the oil would solve the problem. Apparently, synthetics cause most LS units to do crazy things and that normally they are not recommended. This didn't sound like a fix to me but I decided to try anyway. As for using the braking manuver for one wheel in air situations he said to use the parking brake instead of the main brake. To do this correctly you should gently apply the gas and slowy start clicking down the brake until you notice full lockup. At this point leave the brake in that position until you are out of the situation. This allows braking for only the rear tires which allows the vehicle to still move while the brake is applied. I felt a little stupid on this one as it made perfect sense.

Now for the final test:
I went back to the same spot and the results this time were AWESOME. No noise at the differential and by using the parking brake I had full lockup and made it out of the rut without using 4x4. It is truelly unbelievable how much better your truck will go with these units.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:01 PM
here's also my signature.........

Ooops... Your correct I did mean 2x4.

2nd review:

I did more testing this past weekend and had mixed results. As before the normal straight up hill pull was awesome. Both tires pulled together and strong just like a locker. The thing that really impresses me is that the system seems to act much quicker than any conventional clutch type limited slip i've ever tested. In most all cases there is NO one tire wheel slip in order to get the unit activated. I can tell this by driving the truck and having someone look at both tires while outside of the vehicle.

Now for the problem:
The second test involved going along side a deep rut and turning directly into it in order to get one tire in the air. I did this knowing this a weakness of this type limited slip. In this situation when one tire has much less traction the system sends all power to the tire with least traction. Anyway, it did as expected and only spun the tire in the air. Surprisingly, i also heard a horribly loud whinning or squeal coming from the differential. At this point i'm worried that something is damaged or the unit has been installed incorrectly. Thinking maybe I did something wrong I tired once more but this time I also applied the brake (not parking brake) and still had both the noise and one wheel spinning problems. At this point i'm very disappointed and decided to head home.

The next day I contacted TracTech and was asked if i was using a synthetic based oil. I told them yes and that it was Aimsoil (spelling?). He told me that I should use NON-synthetic oils only and that changing the oil would solve the problem. Apparently, synthetics cause most LS units to do crazy things and that normally they are not recommended. This didn't sound like a fix to me but I decided to try anyway. As for using the braking manuver for one wheel in air situations he said to use the parking brake instead of the main brake. To do this correctly you should gently apply the gas and slowy start clicking down the brake until you notice full lockup. At this point leave the brake in that position until you are out of the situation. This allows braking for only the rear tires which allows the vehicle to still move while the brake is applied. I felt a little stupid on this one as it made perfect sense.

Now for the final test:
I went back to the same spot and the results this time were AWESOME. No noise at the differential and by using the parking brake I had full lockup and made it out of the rut without using 4x4. It is truelly unbelievable how much better your truck will go with these units.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:11 AM
TruTrac

So this is the Helical gear TruTrac by Detroit locker correct? I ordered one but started searching and it seems for Drag Racing people have longetivity issues... My buddy just blew an Eaton (locker I think they make only?) in his Tahoe dana 44 with like 36"s, he replaced it with a Tru Trac and likes it.

So my questions to you are

1) did you put in the non-synthetic or just ebrake to make the lifted tire pull out?

2) have you beat on it burning rubber and doing doughnuts/stomp go pedal and make the truck spin in circles on dry asphalt?

I'm pretty sure my buddy will be one of their best guinea pigs for the trutrac lol. I'm willing to bet he'll break it. He said Eaton's are supposedly bullet proof and his trutrac holds better. But I also noticed on the jeep forums one guy blew 2 trutrac's in 2 years in his dana35's with 35 or 36" tires and 4.56gears. Hoping for the best. Thanks,

T

Old 11-07-2005, 08:01 PM
To answer you question i started out with synthetic oil which was apparently the problem. Once the fluid was changed to conventional oil all noises went totally away and the system became even more positive than before. I only use the diff for off road traction and it is the absolute best system (except lockers) that i have ever tested. I can never seem to get only one tire to spin and my truck goes places in two wheel drive that will blow your mind. I highly recommend this unit.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Would you recommend the TrueTrac for a 2wd truck. For more of a performance rear-end.

Thanks
Later
M V

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TrueTrac