Locked Out!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locked Out!!

Like a complete idiot, I locked my only set of keys in my 1997 F-150. No electric door locks or windows. I've tried a "slim jim" but to be honest, I don't know what I'm fishing for. It's the Holiday and I don't want to call a locksmith yet. The window gasket configuration makes it impossible to get inside without tearing something up. Can any one offer any advice? If you feel more comfortable with a private message, please do so. Thanks!!

Old 09-05-2005, 01:38 AM
I locked myself out once, It was around 8:00 at night in OK city a few years ago. It only cost $25 to have a locksmith come out. I think I would at least check to see what they want to charge before you get to carried away.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A locksmith will be less expensive than replacing a damaged window gasket.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE]A locksmith will be less expensive than replacing a damaged window gasket.[QUOTE] or busted glass! If you can hold out until Tuesday your dealer should be able to make you a key with the Vin#. Nothing more aggrivating than looking in that window to see those keys dangling there! Good luck! ME

Old 09-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Do you have a sliding rear window? Try sliding the slim jim in there and flip the latch and simply slide window open. I've heard that these trucks can easily be accessed through the rear window. Let us know how you make out.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by oldnnew
Do you have a sliding rear window? Try sliding the slim jim in there and flip the latch and simply slide window open. I've heard that these trucks can easily be accessed through the rear window. Let us know how you make out.
Way easy! Just take a pocket knife and push through the center behind the locking tab... tab opens and you can slide the window.

Ford should have designed them a little better.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:54 AM
When I traded my truck for the the Stang they were appraising/assessing/lookin' it over, and managed to lock the keys inside (the alarm would lock the doors automatically after 60 seconds, and they left the keys in it. ) My buddy (the salesman) was back there when it happened. He said they grabbed a slim jim out of an office, and without stopping/thinking or anything one of the shop guys had it open in about 5 seconds...

He said it was almost scary how quick and easy they had it open. Hope the Stang is a little more challenging...

Old 09-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am going to wait for the locksmith unless some other non-invasive option arrises. Funny...these trucks were listed as the easiest to steal in the late 90's. I wonder how. Of course, thieves aren't worried about damaging the vehicle. I don't have a sliding glass rear window...darn.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Banned
Man, that sucks!

Old 09-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
I did the same thing with my 97. It was running at the time. A local police officer had it open in about 3 minutes with a slim jim. He apologized for taking so long, he'd never used it on an F-150 before.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:30 PM
I had done the same thing with my old F150. no power doors, no power windows, no rear sliding window. Would call AAA and they would have it open in a minute. Kinda scary.

When I lost my set for the L (and the other set was in the center console, long story). I finally cracked down and called AAA. He stuggled for 15 minutes till he finally got it. I was happy it took so long, but it seemed like he was going to pry the door off to get inside. It really scared me (he tried the back window to, but no luck, maybe he was a n00b).

31C

Old 09-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've locked mine in mine several times. MOstly right after I bought it. I was use to having keypad on the door and this one dosen't have that. Luckily wife has a spare key and FOB for mine so I have had to call her and have her come unlock my truck for me.

The locks on the sliding back glass on these are better than the ones on the early 90's S-10's. The one I had all I had to do was put my right plam flat on the glass and push while bumping the frame with the soft side of my fist and it would slide open. By the third time I did it I could get it open with one bump.
Lost about 200 CD's because somebody else apperently knew this while I was at work one night. Came out of work and my back glass was open, Cd's were gone. Of coarse back then we didn't have burners so it was all store bought cd's. About $3000 worth!

Last edited by PSS-Mag; 09-05-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah! I opened it! Slim Jim the corner between the exterior key hole and the interior pull-up lock. Wrap the Slim Jim in masking tape to keep from scratching the window. Have the "hook" of the Slim Jim facing the back of the truck. Much easier this morning without the wife breathing over my shoulder calling me a dumb a--! I'm deeply in love with that woman but she can be the worst person you want around when you make a mistake.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bilster
Yeah! I opened it! Slim Jim the corner between the exterior key hole and the interior pull-up lock. Much easier this morning without the wife breathing over my shoulder calling me a dumb a--! I'm deeply in love with that woman but she can be the worst person you want around when you make a mistake.
HAHA
That's any women!

Never say Opps... instead say "I meant to do that!" then come up with a BS reason why!

Old 09-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
HAHA
That's any women!

Never say Opps... instead say "I meant to do that!" then come up with a BS reason why!

Tell her, you needed practice just incase you needed to get it open somewhere else

Quick Reply: Locked Out!!