Lightning

Air Bag Code 27 Update

Old 08-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Bag Code 27

I just put my Clarion Stealth box in it was straight forward just hooks into the factory harness in the back of the radio. All I did was remove the face trim plate around the radio unplugged the air bag on/off switch it was in the off position removed the radio plugged the sub in plugged the radio in then put everything back together NOW I get a air bag light flashing 27 and the on/off switch does not light up. The fuse is good in the fuse box there was a scotch clip on one of the wires for some reason going into the switch but I saw no other wire going to it. Has anybody got any ideas was there suppost to be a wire attached to the scotch clip to power up the switch. If someone could pop off your trim plate and look at the wires going into your switch and see if there is a scotch clip there or if you guys can point me toward the right direction thanks it is plugged in but on light and a code 27 flashes on the dash with the air bag symbol.
Thanks,
jeff

Old 08-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Any body? I guess my air bag will not work with the light on. Drivers side that is.
jeff

Old 08-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks Fast Gator checked codes with Preditor it's not OBD2 related. The air gas light flashes 2 times pause then 7 times which means 27 I guess Ford is the only one who can tell me. I've taken it apart and looked at the wires they all look fine. Could the switch be bad.
jeff

Old 08-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Did you disconnect the battery before you did all the wire work?

The airbag system is constantly hot ... Maybe unplugging
it sets some internal error ...

Old 08-20-2005, 05:34 PM
No I left it hooked up I'll try disconnecting the battery to see if it will reset the code.
jeff

Old 08-20-2005, 05:41 PM
I disconnected the battery and still did not rest the code it flashes 27. Maybe the dealer has to reset the airbag light.
jeff

Old 08-20-2005, 08:01 PM
I looked at that site myself, and couldn't find anything relating to a "code 27".
I wasted $25 for the book, ODB II Diagnostic Fault Codes. I say wasted, because it had nothing to help me before and nothing to help you today.
But it does make good reading material in the library while sitting on the "throne"

**edit**
Try finding someone with a Snap-On tool to reset the code, before going to the stealer, err I mean dealer

Old 08-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I'll do that I got some friends that own some shops. Thanks for all your help.
jeff

Old 08-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Found it!!!!!

Burnt out bulb!!!!

Lamp Flash Code (LFC) 27 description from the 2000 service CD:

Pinpoint Tests — Air Bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)

Pinpoint Test O: LFC 27/DTC B1884 — Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) Warning Lamp Inoperative

Normal Operation

The restraints control module (RCM) has the ability to deactivate the passenger air bag under certain conditions. When the passenger air bag is deactivated, the passenger air bag deactivation (PAD) switch warning lamp will be illuminated.

The RCM monitors the PAD switch warning lamp for open or short to ground conditions. If the RCM detects an open or short to ground condition on the PAD switch warning lamp circuit, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1884 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 27 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

A PAD warning lamp inoperative fault could be caused by:

l an open or short to ground on circuit 1113 (Y/LG).

l a damaged or burned out PAD indicator.

l a damaged or inoperative PAD switch.

l a damaged or inoperative RCM.

l a blown PAD switch I/P Fuse 22 (7.5 A).

l an RCM internal concern.

////end CnP///

Old 08-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Hey thanks for the info. I have been battling this for several months. Finally got enough gumption up to fix it. I read your post, pulled the switch out of the dash and tested the lamp, BAD!!! Replaced the 12v lamp with a little Radio Shack bulb and my soldering iron. All is right with the world!

Randy

Old 08-21-2005, 06:46 PM
RDillon what was the part number you used I'm going to do this myself. I heard the buld are crap I leave mine off all the time so the light is on all the time also lasted a couple of years. If you could give me the part number I'll solder one in tuesday.
jeff

Old 08-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Airbag Code 27 Update

It was a burnt bulb on the Passengerside Air Bag on/off switch. Here is the Part number and specs on the bulb I got from Radio Shack and Soldered in:

Part Number:2721141 or 271-1141
12volts 25mA with 1 3/4 hookup leads.

The bulb is slightly smaller but just as bright and it has 2 wires instead of 2 metal contact wires. I just soldered it in took 10 mins and all is good.Total cost $1.39 vs what ever the switch would have cost. Here is the technical info:

Lamp Flash Code (LFC) 27 description from the 2000 service CD:

Pinpoint Tests — Air Bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)

Pinpoint Test O: LFC 27/DTC B1884 — Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) Warning Lamp Inoperative

Normal Operation

The restraints control module (RCM) has the ability to deactivate the passenger air bag under certain conditions. When the passenger air bag is deactivated, the passenger air bag deactivation (PAD) switch warning lamp will be illuminated.

The RCM monitors the PAD switch warning lamp for open or short to ground conditions. If the RCM detects an open or short to ground condition on the PAD switch warning lamp circuit, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1884 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 27 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes

A PAD warning lamp inoperative fault could be caused by:

l an open or short to ground on circuit 1113 (Y/LG).

l a damaged or burned out PAD indicator.

l a damaged or inoperative PAD switch.

l a damaged or inoperative RCM.

l a blown PAD switch I/P Fuse 22 (7.5 A).

l an RCM internal concern.

////end CnP///
Hope this helps,
Jeff

Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks! You probably saved me a good chunk of cash!

That was it...the light bulb...$1.29 at the local Radio Shack, and a few minutes to solder.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm glad to here this helpped you out I haver had no problems since I replaced my bulb it is still going strong probbally will have to do it again sometime because I keep my airbag off all the time.
jeff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Bag Code 27 Update