'95 F150 Won't Start...I need help too!

Old 08-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 F150 Won't Start...I need help too!

Hi All,

I went to start my 5.0L '95 F150, and it will not turn over. I do not think it is the battery. When the key is turned to the start position, there is a single click, and that's all. The lights don't dim whatsoever, and all the power options seem to work fine. However, I did try to jump it, but no luck - just the single click, as if a solenoid is engaging. I am supposing the starter may need to be replaced, but thought I would put it out here for any other advice. While the truck is used infrequently (1 or 2x weekly) it was just used yesterday, with no hint of trouble.

And, if it is the starter, is it difficult to replace on a 5.0? How much might I expect to pay to have it replaced?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:13 PM
If it is the starter, I changed the one on my 1990 with the I6 and it was very easy. Just a couple of bolts.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:47 PM
WAIT, Have you ruled out your fender wall solenoid... $7 bucks is better n $45.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:32 PM
TheFordIdentity,

Thanks!

I haven't ruled the solenoid out. Here's the plan, based on what I have learned here:

1. Check the solemoid by jumping across the terminals with a screwdriver, with the key in "run" position. If it starts, looks like the solenoid is bad.
2. If that doesn't correct it, then I will check the chassis ground from the battery, and insure a good clean connection.
3. If these doen't do the trick, then I'm afraid the starter is next.

How does that sound to you?

Thanks again.

John

Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Sounds good,
also check the ground from the solenoid to the starter, mine disloged itself once.
Let me know what happens.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Hey guys,

I also posted this in the pre-97 forum. Please look over there if you would to see some further comments and questions, regarding grounds and solenoids.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok best way is to have someone try starting it while you tap on the starter with a hammer. Had to do this with our old 92. Went through 3 starters in the damn thing. It sounds like its the solenoid getting hung up. If its not....i know our 2000 had some voltage regulator go out and wouldnt do anything. Not sure if the previous models had that or what type of deal they have.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:22 PM
An Update...

Hey guys,

I did the following this morning:

- Cleaned the battery connections.
- Changed the solenoid.

I hooked everything back up, and still the same result. One click, then nothing. So based on something I read in the "Engines" section, I took a hammer and rapped on the starter a few times (my, what a small starter by the way). I then tried to start it. The solenoid kicked in, the for a half second, it seemed like battery was low, but then the starter engaged and the engine started. I tried it several times, and each time it worked. So now more questions:

1. Surely, I couldn't have fixed it with a few good whacks, could I?
2. Is the starter in need of replacement still?
3. Does the starter have broken teeth on the gear?
4. Is it just a matter of time before this happens again? Should I carry a hammer and creeper in the truck at all times?

What do you folks think?

Thanks for the help!
John

(Posted in the Pre-1997 forum, too)

Old 08-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by NCCamper2003
Hey guys,

I did the following this morning:

- Cleaned the battery connections.
- Changed the solenoid.

I hooked everything back up, and still the same result. One click, then nothing. So based on something I read in the "Engines" section, I took a hammer and rapped on the starter a few times (my, what a small starter by the way). I then tried to start it. The solenoid kicked in, the for a half second, it seemed like battery was low, but then the starter engaged and the engine started. I tried it several times, and each time it worked. So now more questions:

1. Surely, I couldn't have fixed it with a few good whacks, could I?
2. Is the starter in need of replacement still?
3. Does the starter have broken teeth on the gear?
4. Is it just a matter of time before this happens again? Should I carry a hammer and creeper in the truck at all times?

What do you folks think?

Thanks for the help!
John

(Posted in the Pre-1997 forum, too)
Yep good idea to keep a hammer or something in the truck until you get a new starter. The solenoid is sticking and with tapping on it it will go. Alot of times when it gets worse it takes someone starting it while the other is tapping on it. This is just how our 92 was.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
It sounds to me like the starter has a dead spot in it. It could start OK 100 times, but when it stops at that dead spot...get the hammer. Time to replace the starter.

MR

Old 08-13-2005, 09:57 PM
you cleaned the connections...hmmm did you clean where the ground cable connects to the block???

take a jumper cable and go from the pos side of the battery and touch it to the cable that goes to the starter(back of solenoid) and see if that turns it over

post results

...zap!

Old 08-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Zapster,

The solenoid (or relay as some have called it) has been replaced. Would it still be helpful to jump across it from the battery? Or, are you referring to the solenoid that is attached to the starter assembly? In regard to the chassis ground cable, I did not clean that connection. I was on may way down under to do just that, but I wanted to do the hammer-on-the-starter rapping trick first. When that worked I figured I needed to go no further because the starter is the problem, and needs to be replaced. Or so it seems to me. I suppose the tapping on the starter may have jiggled a loose connection somewhere that just needs cleaned/tightened.

Any other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks,
John

Old 08-14-2005, 07:00 PM
It's probably safe to say your starter is hooped, especially since the truck is ten years old with a pile of miles on it. Do yourself a favor and get a new one, just for the peace of mind if anything. Starters do wear out, and you can rebuild them fairly easily, but with a new one you can get a warranty and it shouldn't be more than a half-hour to change out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '95 F150 Won't Start...I need help too!