Pre-1997 Models

Best way to stop a gas tank leak?

Old 08-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to stop a gas tank leak?

I have a 91 5.0 with dual tanks. The front tank doesn't work and has a leak but is never used so i don't care about it. The rear tank just developed a leak at the bottom right above the spare tire on the passenger side. It appears to have a rusty spot right where the leak is so i assume it's a small hole or crack. What is the best way to combat this leak, is there a good caulk or plastic sealant i can use? I wouldn't know what to look for here, but i need it soon, my ranger is in the shop with a FUBAR tranny, and i need a secondary vehicle that somewhat works. I would have posted under the other gas leak thread, but i don't like to thread jack. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a gas tank repair kit in my tool box, it kinda looks like the stuff to repair tents and stuff exept it has got a heavy duty nilion patch of some sort with some type of resin apoxy the instructions say drain tank scuff up surface area aply resin to area and patch and apply patch, i have no idea were i got the kit it has been in my role away for years but i know they make the kit, i have also seen some type of patch that is kinda like playdow at a truck stop, good luck hopefully you can find something simalar

Old 08-11-2005, 11:12 AM
I have used a small sheet metal screw with a rubber washer around it to do a temp fix.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:07 PM
If you are just needing to run it temporarily a quick fix is plumbers puddy if you have some on hand it works ok and will last a couple weeks. Also for a temp. fix BLACK silicone caulk will work but the gas will eat it away and eventually it will fall out. The black 100% stuff works the best.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Just weld on a patch

Old 08-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
have a fire extingisher handy(and a full burn suit)

Old 08-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I used epoxy stuff I got at napa, but wasn't really satisfied so just got another tank from a parts yard.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Ok...i'll get the millermatic mig welder going and weld a patch in there

yeah...right. I'll use the stick welder...... ah ha....that would be fun....

Old 08-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Ok, i got to really looking at it, there are two metal crossmembers that go across the bottom of the gas tank to hold it there. The one on the passenger side is wet all along it. the spare tire has wet spots running down to the bottom of the tire...but it's thick and sappy, not anything like gas, but it smells like gas. That's the best i can explain it. The crossmembers are getting pretty rusty, but the rest of the tank looks good.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:03 PM
That sappy stuff is the gasket material you can place between the gas tank and the strap. It is there to keep the metal tank and metal strap from rubbing. It becomes sappy and runs out when gas comes into contact with it and eats it away. Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:08 PM
I had the rear tank on my '91 f-150 doing the same thing. It rusted out under the metal stap that holds the tank up. I just went to the salvage yard and got one cheap. I figured it was easier than atempting to patch it and have it just leak again later.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:24 PM
I did the same on my '91. Tank was $75, as I remember, pump assembly was another $50, so I replaced them both. Dirtiest job I've ever done, working from underneath with about 400 pounds of rust falling all over. Took 2 hours to get the spare down, but from then on it wasn't bad.

In the antique airplane business, they make a "sloshing compound" that you pour into the tank and slosh around to seal it. I'll bet that would work, but the tank has to be clean. Also, since 99% of the labor would be in the tank removal/replacement, I'd just replace the thing. Even a new tank isn't that bad -- around $150 from several places.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by machgt
Just weld on a patch

as stupid as that sounds a FORD dealer did that in Indiana here.. lol burnt down the entire service area. Was the owners son, and to top it off, it was the owners birthday. Gotta love small towns sometimes.. lol my guess is he is outta the will

Old 08-23-2005, 07:18 PM
I have brazed and soldered on gas tanks several times in the past. This was when I ran a radiator shop and I would only work on tanks after they had been boiled for several hours in the radiator vat. I found the best way to get a customer to stop standing looking over your shoulder was to lay a gas tank on the test tank and light a torch. When you looked around the customer would be on the other side of the shop. I have since used JB Weld to repair a hole in a gas tank. I practically built a corner on a '74 chevy tank out of this stuff and it was still holding years later when I sold it.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Unhappy

has anyone looked at the fact it might be part of a old recall Ford had on these trucks for the gas tank assembly,I posted a thread in the recall area called Ford recalls of the past, as there are over 40,000 still unrepaired and driving on our roads look to see if it was and maybe help to have all those affected trucks fixed by Ford join me in the recall fight for our safety.READ IT AS IY CONCERNS YOU!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to stop a gas tank leak?