Loose Feeling in the Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose Feeling in the Steering Column

Can anybody help me. I just had Goodyear Forteras installed on my 2001 Expedition and had the front end aligned. Since then, the steering column feels extremely "loose". I've already brought it back to have it re-aligned and will bring it back again. Specifically, everytime I brake or acelerate from a stop, I feel and hear the steering column rattle and the road bumps cause this rattle as well. The truck has 50K but the front end steering feels like a 25 year old truck. The Goodyear dealer says that it's because the Forteras are a different type of tire. If this is true, then I don't want them. They are rated for 70K and have a great ride and handle, but the result of this steering issue is unacceptable. Any suggestions?

Old 07-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Don't know if it's the same sensation you're getting, but the front end in my 03 Screw feels a tad "floaty" sometimes. I've checked, triple checked, and had a buddy of mine go through the front end numerous times both on a 2-post lift and on a 4-post lift (with the weight on the suspension) and I have yet to find anything wrong with the truck at all. It seems to be "just one of those things" that you have to look past.

I'd have the front end checked out completly and then go from there. If nothing is found, ask the tire dealer to swap the tires for something else to see if the feeling goes away. Most good dealers nowadays have some sort of ride guarantee that helps in these situations.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks. I'm bringing it back in the next week or so. I had a '99 that felt the same way, but the '01 was much more tight until now. It feels like my '99 did. We'll see what the tire dealer says. I may try a different set of tires if they can't come up with anything.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:51 PM
just a quick ? probably dumb but did u get the same size tires?

Old 07-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Yes...... Same size, just feels much more loose than before.

Old 07-30-2005, 08:38 PM
I started checking under the hood and found that the shaft from the steering wheel to the steering box is loose. You can grab it and shake it, it's not tight and wabbles about 1/2 inch. Does anybody know how to tighten this? I looked and on the surface could not see any set screws or bolts.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by metla
I started checking under the hood and found that the shaft from the steering wheel to the steering box is loose. You can grab it and shake it, it's not tight and wabbles about 1/2 inch. Does anybody know how to tighten this? I looked and on the surface could not see any set screws or bolts.
Not sure how to fix it but my 97 F150 is the same way.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Truck is at the dealer right now. They called and said that it would be ready tomorrow, they had to go across town to get parts. I'll post tomorrow and give the scoop.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:06 PM
They replaced the steering shaft and idler arm. Fixed the problem. They said that they were both "worn". Drives great!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Metla, How much did the work run? I have the same problem on my 06 with 60k miles.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by metla
They replaced the steering shaft and idler arm. Fixed the problem. They said that they were both "worn". Drives great!
Which steering shaft was replaced? Lower or upper? I had a new idler arm put on and it helped some. The steering shaft has play in it as well.

Quick Reply: Loose Feeling in the Steering Column