Cutting Tie Rod Ends?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cutting Tie Rod Ends?

Well i brought my truck to Kaufman Tire today for my first alignment since i installed my 6" fabtech lift and the 35's. So when i go back 4 hours later to pick it up they said they couldn;t do it becuase when my lift was installed my tie rod ends were not cut. DOes anyone know what this means and how easy it will be to ut these???

Old 05-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the first that I have ever heard of tie rod ends needing to be cut.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:20 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Tell Kaufman that is goes: Puff, Puff, Pass. Fabtech instructions do not tell you to cut tie rods.

JMC

Old 05-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Never heard of that. I've done alignments on dozens of lifted trucks and never had an issue with tie rod ends. Sounds fishy or lazy.... did ya bring it in on a Friday?

Old 05-26-2005, 05:09 PM
I did cut my truck tie rods before alignment. I purchased my 6" Fabtech lift like a year ago from 4WPW and installed it like a month ago. One of the final steps in the instructions is that you may have to cut the tie rod 3/8"s on each end to make them fit with the new lift. That will apply to some models but not all.

In my case it was obvious after a visual inspection that the toe in/ toe out was not going to be possible unless cutting. So, following the instructions and suggestions there I cut the tie rods without hesitation. And they are not hard to remove.

They (Kaufman) should give you a solution since they are the experts doing this kind of job on a daily basis. My scanner is not working but maybe you can get this instructions from Fabetch or any other member here.

I hope this helps and good luck with your alignment

Old 05-26-2005, 06:18 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
JMTruck,

I just reread the instructions and it does mention the need for cutting on some models. I couldn't get my head around why it would be needed. In the Fabtech kit the knuckle has the tie rod end attachment point well above the stock location. No doubt that is to allow for steering geometry correction. If their quality control is not up to snuff it could require shortening the tie rods.
I stand corrected.

JMC

Last edited by JMC; 05-26-2005 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanx guys, yall think i should bring it back to where i got the lift installed or try to go to a diff shop to get it alligned??

Old 06-01-2005, 09:10 AM
If the shop where you got the kit installed do allignments, I think that would be a good choice. If yes, why not doing it in the first place?, since this is part of any major front suspension project. If they don't, ask for a refferal.

Good luck.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i also had to cut my outer tie rod about half of an inch, to get a propper alianment, i used a chop saw took two seconds and the threads didnt even get messed up, any good mech place should have a chop saw and they shouldnt really charge you that much since it takes no time at all, good luck

Old 06-09-2005, 09:08 AM
yes you will have to cut the tie rods ends to get alignment, mine after i put lift on, tie rods closed all the way in the tire s still looked out at both sides , it is not uncommon to have to cut the ends, all that happens is when liftedcamber changes and you run out of room to adjust, but it shouldnt be a hard job for an alignment center to do this, if they cant go to a real alignment center....

Quick Reply: Cutting Tie Rod Ends?