Towing & Hauling

Trailer Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Wiring?

I had a hitch and a 7 connection spade type trailer plug installed. The only wires that Uhaul hooked up were the 4 that come on a regular flat 4 wire plug, brake lights, parking lights, and turn signals. In the power distribution box under the hood it has slots to install the fuses for the trailer running lights, back up lights, and battery charge. If I install the fuses, where do I find the wires to pick up the power at the rear of the truck. I know how to hook up the brake controller, I was hoping to not have to pull wires all the way from the battery to get power for the trailer. The truck is a 1993 Ford F150 XLT supercab 4wd w/ a 4.9L. Thanks...

Old 02-16-2005, 10:21 PM
I kinda confused Sounds like you dont have towing package. I didnt know the charging fuse came without the tow pack. Why did U-haul hook the wires up for you ? Sounds like you know how to run wires. What are you going to pull ? If U-haul hooked them up, they prolly just spliced it into the tail lights. It should work without installing fuses.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I went ahead and had Uhaul wire because it was only like $10, so why not? They did hook into the tail lights, but only for the lights, they actually used a T connector into the factory harness. They did not however hook up the pins for the battery charge, trailer running lights, brakes, and trailer back up lights. I was stunned to find a slot in the power box for all the fuses myself since it did not have a towing package. My mailn question I guess is this, does anyone know if they is power wires back there from the fuses, or should I just pull wire from the battery and forget about the fuse panel? Thanks.

Edit... I tow a 19' Citation boat, an equipment trailer for work and I am soon to buy a new camper.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All F150's from at least 97-03 are wired for trailer towing from the fuse box back to the back of the truck..... They will all have the brake controller connector under the dash (just above where your right leg is when you sit in the drivers seat) as well.

The difference is when you DON'T get the tow package, you don't get the two relays and the 30 amp fuse that plug into the fuse boxes under the hood. I think there is also another fuse for the trailer lights as well. You also only get a flat 4 trailer connector, as all F150's are capable of towing using the bumper hitch if you add a ball to it.

So, all you need is to get the fuses and relays and then get the factory round 7 pin connector and it'll plug into the factory wiring harness right around where the spare tire is. It replaces the harness that goes to the old flat 4. You will also need to get the brake controller "pig tail" harness for the brake controller connector under the dash. This is what you would splice to the connector that comes with the controller. Some controllers have pre wired connectors that will plug into the truck and controller in one shot. That's the easiest way to do it.....

The relays only control the 12v charge line to the trailers battery and reverse lights if your trailer has them.

Then you'll need a frame mounted hitch receiver and check to see if your truck has an aux tranny cooler.

Good luck!
Mitch

Old 02-22-2005, 08:52 PM
thanks mitch. does anyone know where I can get a pig tail for a 1993 F150 to plug in under the dash? I checked at Etrailer, but no luck.

edit--- I noticed at brakecontroller.com that is has a harness for 94-04 Fords. Is there a difference in the plug for 93 and 94?

Old 02-23-2005, 06:58 AM
Send an email to lencohitches@msn.com. He has the under-the-dash pigtail. He had the pigtail with and without the connector for the controller at one end and the plug into the OEM wiring on the other.

My Accutrac came with a wiring diagram and the colors on the controller DO NOT MATCH the OEM wiring. You may check your controller to make sure you get it right.

Quick Reply: Trailer Wiring?