Overdrive Light "Blinking"

Old 02-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive Light "Blinking"

I got this issue, and need to know some opinions:

I was driving my truck for about 20 miles and suddendly the overdrive light started to blink. I stopped the truck and turn it off and started again. The light turned off.

After a few seconds it started again (to blink). I continued without paying attention to it. But I noticed that when I'm starting to stop the truck, the trans. change to a lower gear.
When I accelerate it works normal, but when I'm stopping it shifts to a lower gear.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 AM
trans

Yesterday I disconnect the battery cable for 15 minutes. i connect it agian and drove 40 miles, the OD Light didn't turn "on" (blink).

The trans, is shifting Ok, until now. What could I expect?

...ben

Old 02-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 'blinking' is telling you that you have a transmission problem. Resetting the computer might shut off the light until the problem recurs, but it won't fix the problem.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:27 PM
As mentioned above, by disconnecting the battery, you erased the code. It will take a while but chances are the light will probably come back. When it does, have the code scanned to get a better idea of what's causing it.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:42 PM
code

How I scan the code?
Or I need to go to a Ford Shop?

Old 03-17-2005, 10:26 AM
I just brought my 97 F150 to my mechanic for the same exact thing. Now I just have to wait and see what he says...

After I posted this same problem, I started browsing other postings, and came across many of the same problems with lots of different answers. Have you brought your truck in to the shop yet?

Old 03-17-2005, 11:06 PM
flashing overdrive light

My wifes '03 windstar does the same thing. When going up a steep grade, I turn off the overdrive. After driving for a couple of miles, it starts to flash, I can't turn the overdrive off. I have to stop and turn the car off and then can turn it on and be on my way. I always assumed it was some safety precaution, just telling me to back off a little. I have never had to unhook the battery to erase the code. Someone out there has to know the cause.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a 95 Windstar.
Don't know about newer models but in 1995 transmission codes were not 'trapped' by the computer. The light had to be flashing at the time of diagnosis.

A flashing OD light is an indication of a problem.
The transmission has 11 different sensors on it.
If a sensor goes bad a problem may be felt immediately, only at certain speeds or not at all depending on which sensor went bad.

This was a tough problem to figure out for my van because like many of you, when I shut it down the light stopped blinking and all the dealer could do was shrug his shoulders.

I ended up using a 'flight recorder' supplied by the dealer.
He installed it in the van.
I pushed the record button when the OD light blinked.
The code was finally trapped.
The $79 sensor was replaced along with $110 labor.

My transmission was saved for less than $200.
And that's the end of my story.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: flashing overdrive light

Originally posted by rngr4x4
I have never had to unhook the battery to erase the code. Someone out there has to know the cause.
The code will stay in the computer's memory for about a month after the light stops flashing. There are about 50 things that could make the light flash and set a code. I don't know which one is causing it on your Windstar. Next time it happens you should consider getting the codes checked. Transmission codes need to be checked with a Ford specific scan tool. All dealers have them, only a few independants do.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Raoul
This was a tough problem to figure out for my van because like many of you, when I shut it down the light stopped blinking and all the dealer could do was shrug his shoulders.
That's because that dealer is stupid. The code remains in memory for about a month after the light stops flashing.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally posted by casey_1
That's because that dealer is stupid. The code remains in memory for about a month after the light stops flashing.
Normally, I don't give a crap what someone types but, my dealer has been good to me, so I can't let that ride.
I use a reputable dealer.
The model in question is a 1995 Ford Windstar.
The flashing OD and trip to the dealer were the same day.
Why would he say there was no code, then install the recorder?

How does a month figure into it anyway?
If I drive 15 hours or day for 30 days or let the vehicle sit for 30 days, are both of those still a 'month'?

Old 03-18-2005, 08:32 AM
I said a month because it is 40 warm up cycles. Most people do that in about a month.

A warm up cycle is defined as engine start below about 80°F, and then warmed above 180°F. If you shut the engine off and restart before it cools below 80°F it isn't counted as a warm up start.

Many service people don't know enough about the 95 Ford Windstar to know that the system will store the code for 40 warm up cycles, which take about a month to complete. They look at the light, don't see it flashing, and shrug their shoulders.

Maybe I should have said they were ignorant of the facts instead of stupid. Either way they should know how the systems they service work so that they can fix a customer's problem instead of sending them away.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Raoul, what was the function of the sensor they replaced? Nothing was wrong with the transmission itself, right?

Old 03-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally posted by jpdadeo
Raoul, what was the function of the sensor they replaced? Nothing was wrong with the transmission itself, right?
The van wouldn't shift. I was running 5,000 RPM and doing 30 mph on level ground. The OD light was blinking. It was flatbedded to the dealer. When it was unloaded and started it ran fine, no light.

This happened twice. The second time I limped home, and the next day it was fine.

I wanted this resolved. The dealer installed a small box connected under the dash, with a button to push which would trap codes.

It took two weeks before I trapped something.
The dealer called before that asking for status because they only had a few of these portable diagnosis tools.

The positive point to get from this is there is a tool available if you find yourself with an intermittent problem and the dealer response is 'no code" or "cannot duplicate".

Old 03-18-2005, 09:09 AM
I wonder if the new CAN crap the 04’s and up have would trap codes like that or would they also need the assistance of the service departments portable code reader? It’s all way to complicated for me. Whatever happened to gas for 19¢ a gallon?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overdrive Light "Blinking"