SuperCrew

Rear End Clunking??

Old 01-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear End Clunking??

It feels like my driver's side rear brake caliper is hanging up. I get a physical/audible "clunk" when the truck comes to a complete stop. It also feels like a slow release at times when getting rolling again.
Anyone else experienced this sort of issue with their SCrew?
I have been to my dealership and they reported NTF.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:06 AM
are u sure it is your brake?...screws have the clunk from the drive shaft rear end catching up at stop signs.....mine is very faint...and only if I stop abruptly.

are u talking about the scretching when you let of brake slightly? Its annoying.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:17 AM
I just assumed it was brake/caliper related since often times I feel like the brake is slow to release after I take my foot off the brake pedal.
I do not have any sort of "scratching" noise.
I have noticed a rear end clunk when accelerating from slow speed like in my parking garage. I have read about this issue on other posts but am not aware of any fix.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:19 AM
no me either...mine is not that big a problem....so i leave it.....

Old 01-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Rear End Clunk

I had the same problem with my new 04 Heritage, not even 3000KMS on it and the rear seemed to 'slip'. I really noticed it when I went from rev to fwd, it would seem to go slow, then clunk, it would engage then go.
I got so many excuses from the dealer, from "..it's a locker type diff and that's what it does..", to, "..let the gears wear a little then it'll go away..". I took it in 5 times and got nothing. I finally took it to another dealership and was told that there was a problem with the clutch packs for the limited slip, had it fixed in less than 3 hours.

My 01 F150 had a problem with burning out pinion bearings, went through 3 of them in 60000KMS, real pain in the butt, the last time it happened I had to fight with the dealer to make them pay for it, even after it was off warranty. They had just replaced the bearing not even 1 year before and it went again, but I was over the 60000! after many days of complaining I only had to pay about $200 of the whole $1000 it cost, because on the last blown bearing it toasted the whole gearset, so all the internals had to be replaced..

Old 02-01-2005, 09:55 AM
I've had a simular problem . when i first started out in the morning if felt like i was going over rumble strips . after the second time at the dealers ,they replace the clutches in the differental. so far it seams to work.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ahh, the infamous Tranny Thunk rides again...

Try doing a search on this issue. It was beat to death early when the SCREW came out but has since gone to the way side. I, too, had a 'thunk' when I had my 01'. It never developed in to anything more than an annoyance but, I did catch myself noticing it on occasion.

RP

Old 02-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Rear end clunk

I get a clunking noise from my rear end when excellerating from a stop light or just giving her some gas on the pass. I have done some ugrades so I have a little more hp than stock but, does anyone have this problem? I think it's the drive shaft. I know that my u joints can be bad already. I only have 55,000 miles on her. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 02-15-2005, 10:06 AM
I don't think this problem is related to my LS rear diff (although that engagement-type clunk does occur on occasion).
Since the truck is still under warranty, I will go back to the dealer and take the service manager for a ride. The problem is quite apparent when slowing down or coming to a complete stop and then releasing the brake. The clunk occurs before I even apply the accelerator. That's why I thought it might be brake related, but really could be something else (spring mount/bushing?).

Old 02-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Wink

Had the clunk issue when taking off from a dead stop . Took it to the Ford garage and they told me they were going to put a new differential in it . Did a little complaining and they replaced the entire rear end assy. Truck has 7000 miles on it limited slip diff. Took it back and had it back that night . What a huge difference.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Just got it back from dealership (under warranty thankfully) and they said my driveshaft was "out of round".
Well, they put in a new driveshaft and tailshaft and my Screw feels like a new truck.
The clunk is gone and even the vibration at around 55 mph is gone!

Old 03-19-2005, 11:01 PM
I am having the same problems out of my 2003. About six months ago I first noticed a clunk or popping in a slow speed turn, such as turning around in my driveway or circling through a parking lot. Its a hard thing to describe, but it felt as if the rear end was getting hung and then releasing as it moved. After two trips to the dealer, they claim it is "normal operation". Well, 3 months later that problem has suddenly ceased but then come the others. I also have the clunking at a stop. The clunk occurs all the time, when you release the brake and even before you begin to accelerate. Lately I have noticed yet another issue with the rear end. The rear end will vibrate as you accelerate in a turn, such as taking off from a stop yet again. My dealer has been absolutely no help in this matter and continues to give me the run around. The truck just hit 25k miles and this should certainly not be happening at this point!!! Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is. I am going to another dealer when I get a chance. What would you guys do?!?!?!

Old 03-21-2005, 05:14 PM
MY O2 DOES THE SAME THING. WAS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING AMSOIL IN REAREND. ANY THOUGHTS?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear End Clunking??