Pats

Old 01-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pats

Can PATS be disabled?.....

Old 01-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bypass module, but why would you want to?

SL

Old 01-27-2005, 10:17 AM
I have heard that the dealer can turn it off with the programmer.

Why??

Matt

Old 01-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
There is a line in the program to control PATS.
The bit would need to be changed from 0 to 1.
You should check your insurance coverage for alarm protection.
If the truck is stolen and found the alarm system has been disabled, you could have a problem with coverage for that insident.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:39 PM
The reason I ask is because I am going to change out my ugly 98' guages for the 99' and up style, and in case my 98 keys won't work with 99' PATS, I'll have my bases covered....Thanks for your help

Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
On changes like you want to do, it is difficult to know what the compaibility is between the two assemblies.
This is reaching beyond the norm and only some one who has done it, can be sure.
As you see, the program can be stopped from addressing the input from the PAT system, so a simple action on the outside may not be possible if the PCM is looking for communications from the PAT, instead of just if it is present or not.
The reason this is so is because the signals from the PAT system will trigger the PCM to disallow the engine to start.
What result you get is unknown unless there is an external procedure known to bypass it.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:35 AM
unless the pats is bypassed ie; pcm faked into believing it is there and functioning properly you will not be able to start vehicle. But u said change gauges, ok so change the gauges and keep the ignition cylinder the same. no need to swap cylinders no need to be in that part of steering column for a gauge swap

Old 01-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks for your input....I know I've asked this question before and I'm about to start the project, and I will only have a limited amount of time, so I'm weighing my options. What I plan to do is do all the wiring, get a cluster that is in learn mode, and use my 98' keys and hope PATS in the 99 guage will recognize the 98 keys. I realize once you put new guages in and try to fire it there is no turning back, like I can't put the old guages back in if this doesn't work....thanks again and I'll post once I get this all done...

Old 01-31-2005, 03:14 PM
the pats tranciever is a ring that goes around your ignition cylinder. Changing your gauges will have no effect on pats. The only link between pats and cluster is the light. You wont be in steering column to change cluster. the only way pats wouldn't recognize your keys is if you did something with pcm and or the pats.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a new ins cluster installed in my 2001 supercrew in the 2001 to2003 the pats module is in the cluster. the key talks to the receiver in the switch the switch talks to the pats module in the cluster and the cluster turns the computer fuel controll off and on.
When the cluster was installed the keys had to be reprogramed to the new cluster.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Sorry, wont work..

Sorry to be the one to break it to ya, but it can't be done. Ford totally changed the wiring harness in 99. Not just the wiring but the way the info is passed from all the different systems, ie ecm, gem, cluster, etc. I tried putting a cluster from a 01 lightning into my 98 f150. 97 and 98 f150s dont have pats, thats the least of your troubles. I even got the connectors from the L with the cluster. After splicing them into the 98 connectors, the only thing that would work was the cluster lights. The 99 and newer clusters can't "talk" to the 98 and earlier systems. The circuitry is totally different and it is physically impossible to get them to "talk" I did a whole heck of a lot of research into this. Almost a full year from the time I purchased the cluster to the time I actuall started to install it. I probably have at least 50 posts at the FTE forums asking about this and getting as much info as i can. I even have a Ford factory maintenance DVD. It fits in, bolts right up and I must admit it looked really nice, only the guages didnt work. Kinda defeats the purpose of having them in the first place.

Just my AAFES Pogs...

Old 02-02-2005, 01:15 AM
nothing sorry... not worth arguing over. last post is correct all systems must talk on a high speed medium speed can comm line also still an iso comm line. Trust me its a bear because some communication can still take place at a diminished capacity, therefore finding faults can be tricky. fyi the pats tranciever module is one item not a receiver and a mod like some think

Last edited by kcap 85; 02-02-2005 at 01:20 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pats