2004 - 2008 F-150

Door unlocked with a screwdriver?

Old 01-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Door unlocked with a screwdriver?

My father in law was talking to a locksmith the other day and mentioned that I had the same truck as the locksmith - an '04 Ford. The guy then made a comment about how the door can be unlocked very easily by sticking a small flat-head screwdriver in the key slot and pushing upward. I've never heard this and am obviously not going to try it on my truck, for fear of damage. I searched, but didn't see anything about it.

Anyone heard of anything like this before?

Old 01-04-2005, 06:38 PM
I've heard of this before, but not on a Ford, just my '86 Mazda 626.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Re: Door unlocked with a screwdriver?

Originally posted by DUCK01
My father in law was talking to a locksmith the other day and mentioned that I had the same truck as the locksmith - an '04 Ford. The guy then made a comment about how the door can be unlocked very easily by sticking a small flat-head screwdriver in the key slot and pushing upward. I've never heard this and am obviously not going to try it on my truck, for fear of damage. I searched, but didn't see anything about it.

Anyone heard of anything like this before?
i have never heard of this, but if your RKE and keyless entry there are no lock cylinders in the doors anyways.

Mac.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:20 PM
^that don't make sense RKE = keyless entry (remote). I think you mean keypad too. Driver's door still has the lock cylinder...

here's a story. My work group has a Ford E-Series van, a few years old. On a road trip, someone locked the keys inside the vehicle. I had my F-150 key on me and decided to try it for the heck of it. The first lock I tried was the passenger door and I wiggled it and it actually unlocked the door! I tried all the other doors and the key didn't work. It was kind of a fluke, but I can still to this day use my key to open up that passenger door.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:08 AM
Car Door locks are notoriously poor in knowing which key is which.

I used to have an 89 Chevy s-10 whose door key worked perfectly fine in my Mom's Pontiac Grand Am. I accidently stuck my truck key in her car, and only realized it was the wrong key after the door opened. Looking at the two side by side, they were similar cuts, but really not that close...

Old 01-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by SteveVFX4
^that don't make sense RKE = keyless entry (remote). I think you mean keypad too. Driver's door still has the lock cylinder...

here's a story. My work group has a Ford E-Series van, a few years old. On a road trip, someone locked the keys inside the vehicle. I had my F-150 key on me and decided to try it for the heck of it. The first lock I tried was the passenger door and I wiggled it and it actually unlocked the door! I tried all the other doors and the key didn't work. It was kind of a fluke, but I can still to this day use my key to open up that passenger door.
RKE = remote keyless entry plus having keyless entry from factory (the pad on the door) there is no lock cylinders in the doors.

Mac.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:07 AM
I once heard that each manufactuer only had a couple thousand possible key combinations.

Don't know how true, but it sounds logical.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Mack-Ford Tech.
My 04 Lariat with RKE and Key pad on the door still has a key slot on the left door. Also there is a key slot in the tailgate..
The only door that doesnot have a slot is the right side.

Mike

Old 01-05-2005, 09:39 AM
We used to have some cheapo dummy keys - your basic GM, Dodge, Import, Ford shaped keys from a catalog. Used 'em in a mobile install shop, but it's no big suprise, every time we needed to get into ford cars, it'd work 40 percent of the time and I bet 80% of those were probes and tauruses. Never tried em on any F150 yet...

Old 01-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Mac-Ford Tech
RKE = remote keyless entry plus having keyless entry from factory (the pad on the door) there is no lock cylinders in the doors.

Mac.

There is still a driver door lock cylinder. How would you get into a truck if the battery was dead. I was a ford dealer tech for 9 years and can't count how many vehicle batteries go dead on the lot.

In fact, when i bought this last truck, the batt was dead on the lot.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Old 01-05-2005, 07:42 PM
yes i know i relized what i worte after i was at work, i was wtf i meant not all doors

sorry my bad :o

Mac.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Anyone tried it on theirs yet?

Maybe i will try it on mine later

Old 01-05-2005, 08:30 PM
yea, when the expy lost the passenger door lock cyl. in 2000 (i think), we had a lot of customers think that they had a misbuild.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:43 AM
I've recovered at least 25 stolen F series trucks over the last year. They were mostly opened with the ol' insert screwdriver and twist method......then the ignition switch was popped out with a slide hammer and the truck started with the same screwdriver.....the passive anti theft system didn't help. Theses wer mostly 350's and a few 250's but I got to imagine the 150 has the same exact lock/ignition parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door unlocked with a screwdriver?