F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

diesel won't start when cold

Old 12-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel won't start when cold

Need some help. I have a 2000 F250 w/powerstroke. It won't start when it's cold, have plugged it in at night(is there something that I need to do to activate the heater besides plugging in the cord?) and have had all glow plugs replaced. Would appreciate any help on this topic.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:10 PM
sorry to hear about the problem. there should be a cord that plugs into the oil filter housing i believe. at least thats where it is on my work trucks. a 95 and 02 e350 cut van w utility body. see if that might be your problem. if not your fuel might be gelled up. use some power service in your fuel tank every time you fill up.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Open up the fuel filter housing to see if there is fuel in there. If so then drain out what fuel is in there and try and see if you can pump fresh fuel in there. If its gelled then its not going to fill very well. If it isn't then it should fill pretty quick. Do you get much white smoke coming out of the truck while cranking it? Also how are your batteries? It requires alot of juice to get these engines to fire and if the batteries done have quite enough then its not going to go, because the injectors need a minimum voltage sent to the IDM to fire. This time of year its essential to carry some fuel conditioner/anti gell. Myself I run Power Service since its readily available at Napa and Shopper's Supply here. I typically have between 1-2 96oz bottles in the tool box along with the 5 gallons of oil and half a dozen different filters.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:06 PM
Re: diesel won't start when cold

Originally posted by gregcarroll44
Need some help. I have a 2000 F250 w/powerstroke. It won't start when it's cold, have plugged it in at night(is there something that I need to do to activate the heater besides plugging in the cord?) and have had all glow plugs replaced. Would appreciate any help on this topic.
Do u have a chip in it?I know mine wont start with my chip in the performance mode but when i flip it to stock mode it starts.I have a flip chip.Try pulling the chip if u dont have a flip chip.This only happens to me in the winter.Summers are fine.Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: diesel won't start when cold