Pre-1997 Models

93 f150 5.0 stalls in reverse mostly

Old 12-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 93 f150 5.0 stalls in reverse mostly

hey folks need your help i got a 1993 ford f150 supercab 5.0 the truck stalls when you put it in reverse mostly ocassionally in drive i am disabled and need to get truck running so i can get home to my family in florida from here in massachusettsany suggestions would be helpful mechanics want an arm and leg to just hook it up thanks in advance

Old 12-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Piece of cake. You need to have your transmission fluid changed. Actually, the fluid may be fine, but the filter has become dislodged, and is causing your problem, and the only way to fix the filter is by dropping the tranny pan, and thus the fluid. So, the easiest way to fix it, or have it fixed, is to get a tranny service done someplace where they will replace the fluid and the filter, or do that yourself. Don't be surprised if the filter is sitting in the pan when you remove it (it may still be hanging in place, but they often end up in the pan).

Take care,
~Chris

Old 12-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Ditto

-Jon

Old 12-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Really?

I have a '90 w/302, and was having the same problem, but only when the truck was cold (after sitting overnight). Mine cleared itself up, so I don't know that that's my problem, but I had no idea a tranny filter could cause such symptoms.

Wade

Old 12-16-2004, 02:20 PM
I had a similar problem with my '93. Cleaning the throttle body and IAC solved it. My stalls were mostly in reverse and occured when I gave it a little gass to start the truck rolling, once I got out of the pedal the ingine would idle low and die.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:58 PM
It's a very common problem with some of the auto trannies in the trucks. The filter is only held in place by an o-ring. It was explained to me that when the filter becomes dislodged, it creates a pressure differential in the valvebody where it shouldn't, when the tranny is shifted into reverse and drive. It always seems to affect reverse before it affects drive, but given time, it will effect both. If the engine idles fine and dandy, but stalls when put into reverse, and you've got an electronic automatic tranny in a 90's Ford truck, the odds are about 9 to 1 that the problem is your tranny filter.

I don't know for a fact what the specific details are, but I do know that I have personally observed and repaired close to a dozen trucks with this problem (2 in the last 5 weeks). I can speculate that the unplanned pressure differential causes the convertor to lock when the valvebody shifts into reverse, which would load up and stall the engine, but that's just an educated guess at best.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 PM
I Have the same problem!

Originally Posted by PKRWUD
It's a very common problem with some of the auto trannies in the trucks. The filter is only held in place by an o-ring. It was explained to me that when the filter becomes dislodged, it creates a pressure differential in the valvebody where it shouldn't, when the tranny is shifted into reverse and drive. It always seems to affect reverse before it affects drive, but given time, it will effect both. If the engine idles fine and dandy, but stalls when put into reverse, and you've got an electronic automatic tranny in a 90's Ford truck, the odds are about 9 to 1 that the problem is your tranny filter.

I don't know for a fact what the specific details are, but I do know that I have personally observed and repaired close to a dozen trucks with this problem (2 in the last 5 weeks). I can speculate that the unplanned pressure differential causes the convertor to lock when the valvebody shifts into reverse, which would load up and stall the engine, but that's just an educated guess at best.

I just did a google search and found your very interesting post (from 2004), I sure hope it works when I inspect the tranny filter!. As well as stalling when put in reverse, it seems like the engine starts skipping after a while, and I have to change the back two spark plugs (1993 5.0 Liter, 4 speed w/electronic O.D.), could this be from loading the engine too much, possibly??

Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Rumble Bee
I just did a google search and found your very interesting post (from 2004), I sure hope it works when I inspect the tranny filter!. As well as stalling when put in reverse, it seems like the engine starts skipping after a while, and I have to change the back two spark plugs (1993 5.0 Liter, 4 speed w/electronic O.D.), could this be from loading the engine too much, possibly??
If only the rear 2 plug's are fouling you might have a different problem. Most likely the oil drain holes in the head are clogged. I would remove the valve covers and clean the hole's in the back of the heads.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Sounds Possible, I think?

Originally Posted by ClintD
If only the rear 2 plug's are fouling you might have a different problem. Most likely the oil drain holes in the head are clogged. I would remove the valve covers and clean the hole's in the back of the heads.
When I put it in reverse the truck really labors and if I hold the brake and give it some extra gas I can keep it running, sometimes, but black smoke pours out of the exhaust. So I figured this may be fouling the plugs when this happens, if it stalls, when I restart it, it spits black smoke out when first restarted.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 AM
You need to have the CM codes read along with running the KOEO self test.
Other than that you would just be guessing and changing good parts out for maybe bad ones.

To check your codes or run the self test go to one of these links below:

This is good for the KOEO test:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

This one is good for the KOER test:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=94
OR
http://www.broncodata.com/tech/codes.htm

Or get a code reader, here is a good one.
The EQUUS #3145
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...CodeReader.jpg

Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Rumble Bee
When I put it in reverse the truck really labors and if I hold the brake and give it some extra gas I can keep it running, sometimes, but black smoke pours out of the exhaust. So I figured this may be fouling the plugs when this happens, if it stalls, when I restart it, it spits black smoke out when first restarted.
This is just a shot in the dark, but give this a try.

run a ground wire (10 gage or so) from the engine to the negative battery terminal and see if this helps.

The only reason I say to try this is from a strange thing that happened to a friends truck.

intermittently he would have problems with the truck running rich and stalling, then one day he tried to jump start somebody and his truck stalled and would not crank over. when trying to get it into neutral to push it, it felt like the shifter was disconnected. turns out the ground cable came off of the engine and the shifter cable was the next closes thing. The shifter cable burned up.
fixed the ground and the shifter cable and all is well to this day.

sorry for the long winded explanation.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Amazing

Originally Posted by PKRWUD
Piece of cake. You need to have your transmission fluid changed. Actually, the fluid may be fine, but the filter has become dislodged, and is causing your problem, and the only way to fix the filter is by dropping the tranny pan, and thus the fluid. So, the easiest way to fix it, or have it fixed, is to get a tranny service done someplace where they will replace the fluid and the filter, or do that yourself. Don't be surprised if the filter is sitting in the pan when you remove it (it may still be hanging in place, but they often end up in the pan).

Take care,
~Chris
Ha ha..and you are a Senior Member....do you even begin to realize the virtual plethora of conditions that can cause these symptoms...beside the IAC...and definitely the TPS...what a joke...gonna have the guy doing all kinds of unnecessary labor...go back to working on your kids bicycle...piece of cake...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Pot calling the kettle black - did you even bother to look at the post dates? With a first post like that you just shot yourself in the foot for getting any kind of respect here.

Go troll somewhere else.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Oh my

Gosh dee diddly gee..I guess since I happen to be an ASE certified mechanic..that works at a Ford dealership..I probably wont be needing any help huh? Especially your " piece o' cake technical non advice"...Thanks anyway for your concern...

Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Tell us the dealership you work at so we don't bring a vehicle to you for repair. We don't want someone with that kind of arrogant attitude working on our vehicles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 f150 5.0 stalls in reverse mostly