Is there a "Black Box" in my F150?

Old 11-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is there a "Black Box" in my F150?

According to a story on Fox today, "Black Boxes" (EDR's) are now on up to 15% of all cars on the road today.

Supposedly GM is putting them in all of their 2004 models and there is some indication Ford has already been doing it.

Is there anyway I can find out if there is one installed on my 2000 F150?

Old 11-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the computer records what happens to different sensors on the truck in the event of an accident, but you dont have big brother tracking you from a satelite or anything like that

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-04-2004, 09:37 PM
There is a "black box" in our trucks, that is there to record speed, throttle position, braking(ABS functioning or not), and airbag deployment(with the smart bags the severity of the crash determines how fast they inflate/deflate).

The only way this info can be accessed is with a court order, should you be found liable for injury or death of anybody involved.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Why would I need a court order to do whatever I like with my property?

Old 11-04-2004, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you dont, but the police do....

Old 11-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Why would you need to read the info in the recorder? It's there in case you have an accident and they authorities are trying to figure out who is to blame.

There was a case a couple of years ago where a guy hit and killed another person. The info on the recorder was used to convict him of manslaughter because it proved that he was speeding when the accident occured.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by bigd999
you dont, but the police do....
That's what I was wondering. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Tbird69
Why would you need to read the info in the recorder? It's there in case you have an accident and they authorities are trying to figure out who is to blame.
Because it's nobodies business but mine. I believe it's an invasion of privacy and has the potential for abuse.

Old 11-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Truckoff
Because it's nobodies business but mine. I believe it's an invasion of privacy and has the potential for abuse.
Look at the brighter side, it may be useful in proving you not at fault.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Re: Is there a "Black Box" in my F150?

Is there anyway I can find out if there is one installed on my 2000 F150?
http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf

According to the above PDF doc. the "Black Box" was introduced in the F-150 as of 2004.

This web site the from a CBC Marcketplace report about Black Boxes that aired last January.
http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...rs/blackboxes/

Dpostman

Old 11-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Re: Re: Is there a "Black Box" in my F150?

Originally posted by dpostman
http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf

According to the above PDF doc. the "Black Box" was introduced in the F-150 as of 2004.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Although it says the data can "only be retrieved by Ford technicians," I would assume it could easily be disabled if you knew where it was...

Old 11-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Fortunately it is everyone’s business who may be involved in an accident with you. You do not have privacy on a public road way using a driver license which has given you the “privilege” NOT right to drive on public roads.

Does it have the potential for abuse? You bet, but it will only abuse those that don’t follow the law to begin with so no big deal. Granted I don’t think it should be used against the person who may do 5 – 15mph over the speed limit now and then but for some drunk doing 85mph in a 25mph zone who runs down a child and kills that child then the courts should be able to use everything possible to get to the truth and if the black box tells the court a person was doing 85mph instead of that persons false statement of doing 25mph then I say use the black box and lock up a drunk who is a killer…

Old 11-05-2004, 09:46 PM
I agree 100% with XLT sport. There are too many people literally getting away with murder because they have a slick lawyer or lie their a$$ off in court.

Now with the data recorder these people have to answer for their actions. Besides, if you have'nt done anything wrong, then there is nothing to worry about, right?

Every one of us will have an accident at one time or another. That data recorder could make all the difference on your behalf if the other person try's to get out of paying their share.

Old 11-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Tbird69

Every one of us will have an accident at one time or another.
Way too true. I have had two of my cars totaled. Neither my fault. I was hit head on the first time by an illegal with no license or insurance. Second time my "friend" totaled my truck when he "fell asleep". Life is full of so much BS it makes me want to kill myself.

Old 11-06-2004, 01:27 AM
I have no problem having a data recorder in my truck. When I drive I try to keep myself in the right at all times, so if something happens you can be sure it wasn't my fault!

The province I call home has public insurance, which has screwed me over more then once. So anything that can be used to back up my side of the story I'm all for!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there a "Black Box" in my F150?