Opinions on caps/shells?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-1999, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions on caps/shells?

I'm in the market for a cap that runs 4"+ over cab level for my (yet-to-be-delivered) '00 XLT 4x4 Styleside. I'm looking for opinions and recommendations regarding which brand to purchase or which brands to avoid, what good market prices are, any particular problems anyone's had with use, damage, etc. I've looked at a Leer and a SnugTop (Highliner) that seem to suit my purpose, but would like more info before forking over my hard-earned $$$. Anything you know would be appreciated.

Old 11-23-1999, 05:54 AM
I had a Leer Crown (hi rise) on my old 94 Ranger. It fit great, the color matched perfect, and it had every option (windows and luggage rack). It was $1167 out the door. It held up well and had two latches, etc. very heavy duty.

I now have an ARE hard tonneau on my 99 F-150. Hard tonneau covers are far more usable than a topper IMHO. I can reach almost every part of the bed instead of climbing in to the back every time I need something. It is also heavy duty and fits well. I use the back of my truck a lot and I built a wooden skid to slide in and out of the bed for easier access to things in the front. I recommend a hard tonneau if you use the truck for work etc. BTW, it was only $650 installed.

Good Luck
seacrow aka Jason

Old 11-23-1999, 08:35 AM
I agree w/seacrow. Try this site www.4are.com At least you will see some pictures of a lot of ARE models.

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

Old 11-23-1999, 01:12 PM
Thanks Seacrow/Tina. I thought about a tonneau cover because of that access issue, and $650 sounds better than what I was probably going to spend, but I don't think it will work for a number of things I want to do (hauling bikes and dogs, and sleeping in the bed in a pinch). Hauling a number of bikes upright (and keeping them out of the rain and snow) is a major reason I want the topper -- hence the 4" above cab line requirement.

Old 11-28-1999, 02:03 AM
Thumbs up

chorst, sounds like you and I have similar uses for our trucks. I went with the Snug-Top Hi-Liner and I like it! I also put a carpet kit in (for sleeping) -- total ran ~1400. I went with the Hi-Liner for the headroom when camping.

Follow the link in my signature below to see a pic.

Good luck and enjoy you truck and cap!

Jim

------------------
'99 F-250 LD 5.4L SC XLT 2WD 3.73LS in White/Silver (w/ EVERYTHING 'cept leather and engine block heater) -- added: SnugTop Hi-Liner & carpet kit, Donnelly electrochromatic/compass mirror, K&N filter, 3" Induction Tube Airbox Mod., SuperWhite 9007 bulbs, IAS shocks, Mobil 1, Bosch +4 plugs, more to come... (Flowmaster 70 cat-back exhaust is on order, Westin side bars, electric fan, Superchip, and silver fender/wheel flares are next)

http://hometown.aol.com/jimorama/myh...ollection.html

Old 11-28-1999, 03:44 AM
I just had a Jerraco High-Rise Deluxe put on my truck yesterday, http://www.jeraco.com/pg2.html
The high rise is nice because it gives me at least 6 inches more than a Snug-Top Hi-Liner. http://www.snugtop.com/p_hiliner.htm
The SnugTops are nice but they are made in CA. and cost $400-$500 extra to ship to the east coast. A co-worker has one his GMC and likes it. My Jeracho was molded in PA., with all the extras, instal., tax was $1321, the Snugtop would have started at $1500, though the warranty on structure and paint are lifetime. Most warranties run structure/life, paint/5yrs.
The only thing I dislike about caps is cleaning the windows between the cab and the cap.
A nice option with a cap is that you can leave the rear window of the cab open on a hot day in a parking lot and not worry about someone getting in.

Check out this thread on the subject Appearence Products/CAPS https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000199.html
------------------
Y2K F150 XLT SC SB 4.6 V8 standard(like the control)3.55 LS, RED!, K&N FIPK, Duraliner, Jericho fiberglass cap.
First lesson to son, Chevy Stinks (GMC too), Dodge oooooh
Previous Ford Trucks '84 F150, '87 Ranger (was a loyal truck, R.I.P)

[This message has been edited by mtknee (edited 11-28-1999).]

Quick Reply: Opinions on caps/shells?