Expedition / Navigator

99 expedition - digital odometer comes and goes..

Old 06-17-2004, 04:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 expedition - digital odometer comes and goes..

recently the digital odometer on my 99 expedition (eddie bauer)
will just turn off for no apparent reason. Few minutes later it'll
light back up again. This has been happening the last few weeks
daily.

anyone else experience this or have any idea whats causing it?

thanks

Old 06-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Had that happening with my old '99 Expy for about a year. It never went out for good. Ask the dealer when I was in for service once, said they'd have to replace the whole cluster for about a cool $400. Bite me! I lived with it until I traded her in...

Old 06-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Old 06-17-2004, 07:06 PM
thanks for the replies guys.

that cold solder sounds like a likely cause, however, I'm not
nearly motivated enough to dig the cluster out.

I think I'm with dzervit on this one... trade time is coming soon,
lol.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:36 PM
The Od

Originally Posted by edamon
recently the digital odometer on my 99 expedition (eddie bauer)
will just turn off for no apparent reason. Few minutes later it'll
light back up again. This has been happening the last few weeks
daily.

anyone else experience this or have any idea whats causing it?

thanks
Yea everyday I start my 99 f150 on and off... alittle tap tap and it will come back on, well unless you are getting your emissions done and you could beat it with a hammer and it woudnt come back on, like I wanted to do with the lady was looking at me like I drove a beater... But from what I have found on the net is that expos and fseries that have the digital OD some have this problem and it is "poor manufacturing" If you can spare an arm and a leg the dealer would be more that happy to replace the whole cluster cause that is the only way they sell it or if you are tech smart just re-solder the connects on the board and that should fix it<---- Though I have not done this... This is what I have found from other people who have done it and said that it fixed it. And one last option is there are companys that will sell a refurbed cluster on exchange for your old one and will program your miles in the new one for about half the price of the dealer, and you can even get white faced gauges too...

Old 10-04-2005, 12:39 AM
rub
digital odometer on my 99 expedition

hello was wandering if still under warranty would it cover the fix for the digital odomerter oh yeah i have the bumber the bumber warranty if so i will just take it in. Also would like to know if anyone knows if the mirrors are covered because they are peeling of from the interior soon it will not be a mirror anymore. Thankyou all in advance

Old 10-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Here's the fix for the odometer. All you need is a soldering gun(I got one from the dollar store) and a magnifying glass. Took me about 2 hours, but it could be done in 1 if you can get the dash apart right away. I posted some expanded instructions on page 2.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=126765

Edit: btw the soldering part is really easy. All I did was heat up the ground pin and move the solder around till it looked good. I didn't add any extra solder.

Last edited by ViperGrendal; 10-04-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by rub
hello was wandering if still under warranty would it cover the fix for the digital odomerter oh yeah i have the bumber the bumber warranty if so i will just take it in. Also would like to know if anyone knows if the mirrors are covered because they are peeling of from the interior soon it will not be a mirror anymore. Thankyou all in advance
Call your dealer about the Odometer and see, I would bet not.

As for the mirrors call these guys and you can get them replaced. http://www.kwmuth.com

You will have to give them a $200 deposit, they will send you new mirrors and upon return of the old, they will refund your money. At most a 2 week process.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 expedition - digital odometer comes and goes..