leer truck cap

Old 06-17-2004, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leer truck cap

I have a question regarding a Leer cap. Is there anything I should know before buying one. Is it noisy,how difficult it is to remove it?? Any thoughts. I am thinking of XQ?..big windows model.

Thanx,

Joe

Old 06-17-2004, 11:27 AM
nothing to know about Leer that isn't applicable to other caps.

Easy to take off? Yes as long as you have 1 or 2 friends helping.

Putting it back on can be a pain depending on what type of weather stripping you are using.

You will notice noise because you are now enclosing the truck bed... so it will somewhat amplify road noises (versus open bed where sound waves travel away from the truck)

Old 06-21-2004, 07:46 AM
......thanks J-150.

Joe

Old 06-22-2004, 11:13 AM
I've got a Leer 100XL on my 2003 F150 Longbed. It is the "skirted model" that wraps over the top bed rails - it has to be dead lifted straight up to remove it. If you plan on taking it on/off a lot, get the non skirted model.

Also, after 6 months, the bottom front corner cracked out - looks like the cap wasn't quite big enough and it was contacting the sheet metal edge. Right after I noticed the 1/2" crack, the side window started leaking like crazy - supposedly a semi-common problem where the glass seperates from the frame. Then I noticed that the seal for the crank out window on the other side was split and the window on that side sticks out away from the cap 1/2" more than the other side.

Needless to say, it is getting shipped back to Leer the end of this week for repair/replacement. All is covered under warranty, but I'm still going to be without a cap for about a month.

Not what I expected from a $1200 product.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:52 AM
...I am going to re consider,that's for sure.

I am not sure what I will do. 2 male dobermans could be pretty destructive , if they decide to fight in the cabin.......they are very obedient , but they're 90 lb. each and when they decide to fight each other, there's only one remedy, cold water,a bucket of it. Anyway, the truck cap would be a solution...the only one ..that's a question.

Thanks for your advice.

Joe

Old 06-29-2004, 10:04 AM
I had a high rise Leer cap on my 99 https://www.f150online.com/galleries...3218-43923.jpg and I loved it, it fit very well, I had it carpeted on the inside to match the tan interior, and had the full window package, it was perfect for hauling nearly anything I wanted in thw winter, especially the dog or 4 wheeler.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:54 AM
I've had a Leer cap for about 6 months now, i forget the model. But bottom line is it was WAY overpriced, and poorly made. For $1200 I got totally ripped off, IMHO its a POS, I mean it works and all, but after picking up one of the locks didnt work, the battery ligt they give you is a total joke, any $.099 tap light will be 10 times better I gurantee. And I got the widoors with it, you would think for $1200 friggen bucks, you'd have the same key for the back, and sides? NO.

If I were you I'd go with a cheaper one. I bought mine from a Fedco dealer, and wish I boiught o0ne of there caps for $800, which is made from the same exact mold, as many other caps are.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:30 PM
If you are going to get one, get an A.R.E. They are the best and you wont regret it!!

http://www.4are.com/

Just my 2 cents..

Good Luck,
Mike

Old 07-07-2004, 04:46 PM
I've got the 100XQ and have been very happy with it. It seems to be very sturdy and well built. Never tried to take it off. They all seem kinda bulky to me to be taking off/on. I had a raven before that on another truck and am much happier with the leer. One of the big benefits for me was the single push button lock.

Old 07-13-2004, 11:52 AM
A brief update - my leer 100xl cap went back to the factory and they are making me a whole new cap.

I hope this one is better than the last. I'll post a follow up when I get the new one. They couldn't even tell me when it would be here.

Old 07-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Thank you guys for your time, I wish I did not have to buy it......but I am still waiting......I love my TRUCK,I don't want another suv...

Joe

Old 10-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Thumbs up

I bought A.R.E. cap..finally.

Thanx for your help.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:06 PM
My Leer 100XL - another update

Well, my 100XL was replaced by Leer. The fit was much better at the front of the bed and the windows did not leak.....until almost a year later. The new cap was again sent back to Leer on July 5th, 2005 to fix the leaking windows.

Got the cap back from Leer around the beginning of August.

Once again, here we are, 2 months later, and the damn windows leak again. Not just a few drops, we're talking enough water to fill up a couple of the channels of my bedliner.

Although I'm tempted to rip the windows out of it and silicone the entire perimeter of the window, it's the principle of the matter at hand. I didn't pay $1200 for something that leaks.

It seems to be a problem with the frameless windows in the 100XL. My dealer has been really good to work with, but he's also 1.5 hours away. He told me that it only seems to leak when clamped down to the rails of the truck and it may be that the top rail of the bed has a crown to it that deforms the cap when it is clamped down. If that's the case, then they should have accounted for that in the design of the cap.

I am now waiting for the dealer to contact the factory again and see what they are going to do about it. I even offered up the suggestion of swapping it for a model with framed windows if they can't figure out how to seal the frameless ones.

What a POS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leer truck cap