Clunk sound and feel in steering.

Old 05-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clunk sound and feel in steering.

I have a 01 Super Crew 4x4. Recently I've noticed a clunk sound in the steering colum when starting out, stopping of hitting a bump. I checked all front end parts and even had the ball joints (upper and lower) changed with no difference. I noticed that the steering shaft itself has some play in it going into the steering box and at the universal under the dash. Not much but could this be my problem? Anyone else who might have had this problem or anything like it please let me know what you did to fix it. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2004, 07:39 AM
I have this same problem. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to happen in damp/wet weather.

My steering shaft definitely has play, so I might get this checked out.

I can actually feel the clunk in the floor board, and it sounds almost like a spring popping.

Old 05-30-2004, 02:56 AM
Exclamation

Get it checked and soon! I had the same thing on my 2003 Supercrew shortly after I got it. Still under warranty and back to the deal I went. The joint that connects the steering wheel shaft to the gearbox was shot. The had to replace it. That was at about 2000 miles too! I was not too happy about that but, it's the only problem I've had with it so far. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Will do...I hear it's not too expensive? Hope this is correct.

I want to make sure the steering is fixed on the '97 before I sell it.

Tomorrow, I pick up my new 2004 stx, dark shadow grey. I cannot wait.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:21 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Check the tie rods. If they are loose they can casue the problem.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 06-04-2004, 10:03 PM
The dealer said the steering shaft play was normal, and that the joint at the box was actually fine. He said something about the '97 steering shaft being collapsible in the event of a crash.

He did, however, find the idler arm shot, and the bearings on the right front in need of replacement.

I haven't driven it yet, so we'll see.

Old 06-07-2004, 01:20 AM
I have a 2000 F-250 4X4 with a 4" Pro Comp Stage I lift. When I turn the wheel to the left there is a popping noise. When I turn it back to the right there is no noise. Then I turn it back to the left, there is the popping noise. I made sure that the leaf spring u-bolts are tight. I jacked the truck up (on jack stands) and let the front end hang free. When I turn it back and forth there is no noise. I checked the balljoints by seeing if there is any play in the tire by grabbing at 12 & 6 O'clock positions. Anyone find out what the main cause is yet?

Thanks

Last edited by Lowdrag; 06-07-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Talking problem solved

Simple fix with no help from any Ford tech. Process of elimination. After replacing ball joints, tie rods and regreasing the idlearm till it buldge to way overfill!!!! I simply removed the plastic zip tie on the steering shaft rubber boot and greased the slop out of the slip joint on the shaft. It seems that it was either never greased or very litely greased from new. Anyway this put an end to the steering wheel poping noise.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Mine was caused by track arm bushings being bad.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:11 PM
I have the same loose steering issue under my 2000 F150 2wd spindle lifted truck. Sometimes it almost feels like I have a loose schock raddleing around down there. A mechanic friend of mine said 9 out of 10 times its the idler arm, next it could be the pitman arm or ball joints or a combination of all of the aboe. There rubber bushings goes bad. Mine went bad at 20K and I still haven't done anything and I'm at 36K.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by mcornell
Simple fix with no help from any Ford tech. Process of elimination. After replacing ball joints, tie rods and regreasing the idlearm till it buldge to way overfill!!!! I simply removed the plastic zip tie on the steering shaft rubber boot and greased the slop out of the slip joint on the shaft. It seems that it was either never greased or very litely greased from new. Anyway this put an end to the steering wheel poping noise.

i did the same thing. Had a horrible knock over large bumps, also occurred when one tire would hit a small pot hole. I took a injector needle nose and grease gun and stuck it through the opening boot of every tie rod, as well as the pitman arm and steering shaft cover boot. Drives like a dream now, steering feels tighter when driving straight as well. Pretty sure the dark lithium grease helps support older joints that are loose, making them "feel" tighter even though they have some slop. FYI. I replaced all the tie Rods before doing so, to also help with the process of elimination.

Last edited by Danny15L; 04-16-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-18-2019, 12:10 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
This thread is from 2004

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk sound and feel in steering.