Lightning

How exactly do the coil packs unplug?

Old 04-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How exactly do the coil packs unplug?

In changing my plugs this weekend, I had an issue that I had not encountered before. How do I get the coil packs unplugged from the wire harness so that I can get them out of the way? I have the first three done on the pass. side, but had troubles with my spark plug socket as the rubber boot never wanted to come out with the socket.... what a pain that was. I ended up stopping for the day and used Loc-Tite to secure the rubber piece to the socket.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Trying to unplug the coil packs? There is a little push tab on the bottom of the coil pack plug. Push the tab down and pull the plug off. I always take my coil packs completely out when I change the plugs. Gives more room to work!

Old 04-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Fractal said ... Sometimes it's hard to get the last
few to release cause your thumb's so sore by then, but there
is a small release that you squeeze on the plastic connector.

It's a bit forward of the rear edge on the bottom of the plastic, so
it's hard to feel. Then they just slide off.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:08 AM
You should remove them ALL anyway and give them a nice coat of silicone dielectric compound.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:49 PM
"but had troubles with my spark plug socket as the rubber boot never wanted to come out with the socket.... what a pain that was. I ended up stopping for the day and used Loc-Tite to secure the rubber piece to the socket."

"rubber boot"? Are you referring to the rubber insert that comes inside most spark plug sockets? I am assuming you are as you do not use the s/p socket to remove the s/p-to-coil's rubber boot.

And, you squeeze/press upward on the connector's release that is under the connector to remove it from the coil.

Dan

Old 04-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Sorry - I posted two different rants that I had. I was able to get the coil packs disconnected on my Expedition without a problem, but the Lightning has been a different story.
The other item that was frustrating me was that the rubber insert in the spark plug socket kept staying attached to the plug when I pulled the socket off. I had WD40 on it, and they still stuck together. I used blue loctite to secure the rubber to the socket. I will start again on these tonight.... hope those coil packs come off a bit easier. These really are on tight for some reason.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:08 PM
I'm betting the loctite won't solve the problem.
Epoxy or rubber cement might though ... or a Snap-On
Sparkie Plug Swivel Socket ... <grin>

Old 04-12-2004, 04:12 PM
just pull the boot out when you put the plugs in, what i do.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:18 PM
How do you keep the plug in the socket when you are putting the new one in?

Old 04-12-2004, 04:21 PM
i drop it down the cyl hole. . . I know theres concern about misthreading so that may not be the smartest move.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Might be time for a new plug socket buddy! You should be able to just loosely put the plug in the socket and the rubber o ring should hold it there while you lower it into the cylinder head.

My problem was that the socket held the stupid plug TOO good and wouldn't let go. Kept taking the extensions with it.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:16 PM
I had the same kind of experience with a spark plug socket. Before I changed plugs, I checked by putting the plug in the socket and then pulled the plug out of the socket - and sure enough the insert inside the socket, came out with the plug and stayed on the plug. Never had this happen before. Bought another socket - this one was fine.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:54 PM
I just changed my plugs this past W/E. I suggest you consider the following that have been posted by many on these boards throught the years. Get about 1 Ft of vacuum hose or a conventional straight spark plug boot & wire. Apply a very thin coat of anti-sieze to the plug threads and install your new plug tip into the vacuum hose or spark plug boot. Start your plug into the plug hole using the plug wire or vacuum hose. The new plug should thread in easily to the taper seat. Then tighten snug + 1/16 turn. This practice will ensure you do not cross thread your head threads. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How exactly do the coil packs unplug?