Oil Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Oil Pump Replacement

Ok, my friend has a 97 f150 with the v-6. His oil pump needs to be replaced, but is it necessary to drop the oil pan, to change it? Isn't the oil pump located on the timing-chain cover?

The reason i ask is because if the oil pan has to come off, then we have to take the motor mounts loose to raise the engine.

is it necessary to replace the oil pump tube that runs to the oil pan?

Old 03-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Are you guys 100% positive the oil pump needs replaced. Rare to see an oil pump give up soi early in life. I am pretty sure you have to drop the pan and last I heard you couldn't get the pan off with the enigine in the truck. Someone else may know more.

Old 03-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pump is right there on the sidce of the motor. The paint will be trying to disconnect the intake tube. Have you guys used a mecahnical gauge to determine the actual oil pressure? The gauges on the dash are"damped gauges" and aren't worth the time it took to manufacture them.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:54 AM
well, when his light came on the valves started ticking, then the light would go off and the clicking and clunking would stop. he was in the middle of now where and kept driving(stupid). this happened several times over. the truck seemed to have cured itself, then he drove it 150 miles home, and as soon as he got to the last mile, the truck started doing the same thing. the oil light was on and the ticking and clunking sounds were back.

now i don't know where to start. replace the pump, and wonder if he damaged the heads. how exactly would i put a pressure gauge on it?

thanks for the replies

Old 03-30-2004, 01:25 PM
is it full of oil?

Old 04-01-2004, 10:21 AM
The pump may be fine, it could be that the pick up screen is clogged. This is common after having the timing chain cover re-sealed and the technicians using to much sealant.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:27 AM
if it is a 4x4 4.2 you can drop the pan in vehicle
if its 2wd you have to pull the engine

sounds like either the pick up screen got glogged or the pressure relief port got stuck open. this can happen when contaminants get into the oil like metal, sealer, gasket materials from repairs, and the use of scotchbryte pads for cleaning gasket surfaces.

use a plastic scraper or 3m nylon pad to remove gaskets they wont did into the aluminum.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:39 PM
The oil pump is driven by a shaft from the alternator, There is a key in it that will wear and make your oil pump stop working. Sorry to post on an old theard but I've been there done that.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:08 AM
From the alternator? The alternator is on the oposite side of the engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Replacement