Air Conditioner Recharge

Old 03-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioner Recharge

Were is the low pressure recharge valve for my air conditioner located on my 1999 F150 Supercab? I can only find 1 valve and it will not fit hose on recharge kit. Have the 5.4 V8.

Old 03-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Re: Air Conditioner Recharge

Originally posted by cenopath
Were is the low pressure recharge valve for my air conditioner located on my 1999 F150 Supercab? I can only find 1 valve and it will not fit hose on recharge kit. Have the 5.4 V8.
Since I just did this today, I know! Look under your fuse box. Its silver in color. Easy to find

Old 03-15-2004, 10:01 PM
The ref. access valve is definitely not in fuse box. The low side schrader valve is located in the right rear of engine compartment. Locate the larger refrigerant hose and follow it back. The access valve is below the reciever. You will need a quick connect to charge system. Which is available at any auto parts house. approx. $20.00.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by GCOLE
The ref. access valve is definitely not in fuse box. The low side schrader valve is located in the right rear of engine compartment. Locate the larger refrigerant hose and follow it back. The access valve is below the reciever. You will need a quick connect to charge system. Which is available at any auto parts house. approx. $20.00.
Thanks, Finally found that little devil.
Cenopath

Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Cool. Really. I just recharged mine today (was 90 something already) and now it's just plain frosty. Wish I'd known how easy that was before ....

Old 04-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Can't charge system...

My compressor is short cycling on my 97 lariat, every second or so. I checked the pressure with a gauge from Checkers and it shows the low side at 24psi which is low according to the gauge. I tried to add a bottle of R-134a and I can't get the bottle to feed into the system. I did everything according to the directions. What could prevent the refregerant from entering the QD valve?

Old 04-09-2004, 10:08 PM
System will only draw in refrigerant while compressor is running. Since it is cyling off on low pressure switch it will take a while to draw in refrigerant. You could jump out the low pressure switch. This will make compressor run without short cycling. Are you sure the can tap pierced the can ? You can also place the can in hot water. This will increase pressure in can and force refrigerant out.

Also the quick connect I have snaps on and then you have to turn **** to allow refrigerant in. The cheaper versions simply snap on.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Are you sure you are trying to put it into the low side and not the high side ? The low side is located below the reciever. They are different sizes so as to keep someone from making this mistake. I have snap on adapters for both low and high side and a ref. manifold gauges. So I can access both high and low side. But you only charge from the low side.

Old 04-10-2004, 01:12 PM
I figured out the problem. The service adapter I bought from Napa (I thought it was from Checkers) was no good. I just went to Checkers and bought a new one with the metal quick disconnect and it works fine. The new charge on the system is 45psi. However, the compressor is still cycling. It will go about 9 seconds and the click, click, click. A couple clicks each second for a few seconds then turn off. Repeats the same cycle again and again. I will try to replace the AC cycle switch and see if that works. Any other suggestions?

Old 04-27-2004, 12:30 PM
any new developments on this?

is it ok to just check the low side pressure with one of those cheak $20 gauges?

my a/c is not blowing cold at low speeds, but at higher speeds it will. i have an electric fan, and even when switched on high, id doesn't really blow cold. it will blow cold when first started usually, and if the temp is below 80 degrees F.

i was thinking of getting one of those cheap gauges that let you check the low side pressure, and add refigerant. are those reliable?

the truck is an 03 Lightning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Recharge