F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Wiring CB into Fuse Box

Old 03-11-2001, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring CB into Fuse Box

I just installed my CB radio yesterday.. well, to be specific, I have the CB mounted. The power cord is currently mated to a 12v adapter and taking power from the power points. And the antenna will be another post

I would like to wire the CB directly into the fuse box. Since I have never wired anything into the fuse box... are there any pointers or "how-to" documents, sites, etc. that you could point me to?

Thanks!

Santa

------------------
2001 F250 CC Lariat LWB, 5.4L V8, 4.10LS
- Jeraco Deluxe Cab High Cap, color matched (expected soon)
MODS: Still busy figuring out where to start

Old 03-12-2001, 08:40 AM
Try posting this in the "upgrades" section here. I too am looking into getting a CB but I don't even know where to start. (help)

Old 03-12-2001, 02:46 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks, that's just the kind of info I need!! Question?? when you say "magnetic mount antenna", is that one that you don't drill holes into the truck, it just sticks on?? The CB that you got, how far from your truck can you pick up other's signals? Your placement of the CB sounds great, it just wont work for me. I've got a gear shift there and I've already mounted the trailer brake to the left of that. I was wondering if the cubby hole was big enough for a CB?? Might have to see about moving the brake and putting the CB to the left of the gear shift. I was also pondering the location of the antenna. I wonder if it's possible to put it on the hood on the left to match the radio antenna that's on the right???

Old 03-12-2001, 03:43 PM
look in your owner's manual for the fuse section and find a fuse for accessories (on my LD i used #8). get a fuse tap from radioshack or another electronics parts store and tap the fuse (pictures are on the package) for the positive lead. find an appropriate grounding point (behind the black kick cover on my hump) for your negative lead (ground). using the acc fuse means the CB won't stay on and drain your battery when you turn it off. but you can use any fuse you like that works for you. a cb is going to be drawing between .5 and 1 amps which usually is not too much for a fuse tap (although you should be careful).

------------------
2001 F-150 5.4L Supercab XLT 4x4 (silver)

Options:
  • tow package
  • power adjustable pedals (for the short pregnant wife, see below)
  • carpet delete
  • Speedliner
  • law enforcement scanner
  • CB w/ PA
  • Graco infant car seat (not in use yet, see below)

Infant Male
ordered: August 2000
scheduled delivery: 7 June 2001

Options:

Old 03-12-2001, 04:41 PM
    mjsii

I can't exactly help with the fuse box wiring. I happened to be installing a CD changer at the same time so the dash was opened. I tapped into the stereo pwr source. Alot of people have been using the tow package wiring to tap into. I just threw these out there as other options.

You mention the vent in the back of the cab for wire routing. Prior posts on this board said you can get alot of dust and dirt coming thru there with it opened from the cable. There is grommet under the cab you can use, just slice an opening. I ran mine thru the third door, behind the molding, down to the door sill,up to the dash and under the heater vent. I have a red truck so I covered the black cable with red heat shrink.

Tina

The Uniden I have is pretty compact. I mounted it with the one screw holding the lower part of my grey dash and the black heater vent cover together. I needed to drill a hole in the center of the cb mtg bracket and bend it a little to get it to work. Also, I cut a thin strip of rubber the same size as the bracket and placed it between the bracket and the dash to eliminate scratching of the dash and rotation, since only one screw is holding the cb in place.
    My antenna is a magnet mount on the roof. Yes it make me about 12 ft tall. I do hit some tree limbs and low overpasses now and then.

As far as distances talking to others varies.
    A mile or so is said to be good with a basic set-up. A CB shop can work some magic inside the CB to boost its power, but it's not really legal. There are more expensive options too. All CB's really have the same power capabilities out of the box. It's the gadgets on them that changes prices between models.

This place has very good prices:

http://www.valcoelectronics.com

This is getting lengthy any more question just ask.

REDBUCK50

PS- Tina, off topic real quick. I've read most of your posts on the rear window leak. Did you ever try filling the crack with super glue or the like. I can't remember if you did. And I just can't go back and read the hundreds of posts on the subject.

------------------
    1998 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercab Flareside
    Bright Red, Med Graphite 60/40 Int
    4.6L V8, Auto, 3.55 gears, HD/Tow Pkg, ORP
    Slider, Keyless Entry/Alarm, Pwr/W/L/M/S

ADDED

Uniden PRO520XL/Wilson 1000 CB
    Alpine CHM-S655RF 6 CD Changer
    Ventshade Stepshields in grey color

Old 03-12-2001, 07:10 PM
    Thanks for the comments on wiring... I think I just need to spend the time to do it right now.

As far as the antenna goes... I don't plan to run it through the vents -- I read the same posts about the dust... but rather through the grommet -- where I will follow the advice of others on the board and cut the x, pull the wire and use some silicon to seal.

Tina -- to your question about the antenna. By being a magnetic mount, I "attach" it to the roof by placing it. It has a strong magnet that holds it to the roof and also helps the grounding (i think). Other options include a "drill in" -- which is considered by many to be a better choice or there are some other unique options.

I haven't seen too many applications where you could mount it like the radio antenna on the other side -- but it could be done. You would need to worry about the SWR (Standing Wave Ratio), etc. [i don't understand it well enough yet to explain it fully].

I'll chime in more later...

------------------
    - Jeraco Deluxe Cab High Cap, color matched
    - Uniden 68LTW CB Radio/Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna
    - Trying to figure out what's next

Old 03-13-2001, 12:48 AM
    Hello Tina,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will go ahead and post my question in upgrades.

As far as where to start with a CB... I just went through this whole process and will definitely help as much as possible.

Please also let me know if it would help to post the whole decision process I went through -- including the choices I made and the lessons I learned.

I'll also keep posting the information I gather, so it helps others....

Anyway... that said; I bought a Uniden 68LTW (which has the weather channels) and a Wilson 1000 magnetic mount antenna.

I mounted the CB over the weekend. Since I have an automatic, I was able to mount the unit to the right of the steering wheel right under the "cubby hole" on the dash (which seems to be a common spot).

It allows me to operate the radio without having to reach too much.

I currently have it wired into a 12v plug and into the power point -- but as you know from this post, I'm looking to wire directly. From a performance perspective, it's not needed... but I think it would look cleaner if I did.

The antenna is a different issue... and I'm still trying to determine exactly how I want to handle that. The Mag mount adds 5 + feet to the top of my truck (already around 6'8")... so some of the local bridges aren't cooperating.

Since I have the magnet, I'll probably rig it so the wires are fed through the grommets in the back of the cab and hidden under the carpet. But I need to find the time

For now... I have the cable stuck out the door jamb.

I think there are several good radios to choose from -- and I would even consider some different radios knowing what I know now. But I really like the Uniden brand, and every shop I've talked to swears by the Wilson antenna.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions or mail me off list -- I'll do my best to help.

Santa

------------------

Old 03-13-2001, 07:56 AM
    Unhappy

RedBuck: way off topic but still worth answering I tried filling the cracked metal parts of the window with a clear silicone sealer. Worked for a while but eventually started leaking again.

thanks for all the CB info. My learning vs confussion is just about even now and should start leaning towards better understanding any day now

Old 03-13-2001, 03:54 PM
    Tina --

You might want to check out:
    https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/001038.html

Bambino just posted information about how he installed the CB antenna opposite the radio antenna.

HTH.

Santa

Old 03-13-2001, 06:35 PM
    You can replace your radio antenna with a cb antenna. if you do that you need a frequency devider to plug your stereo into.
    Its not real hard to make a cd antenna on the drivers side look similar to the stereo antenna. You just need a hard rubber mount bolted to the fender. You can find alot of mounting hardware and antenna options at www.firestik.com

Old 03-13-2001, 08:12 PM
    Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Don't forget-
    Ford has already run "accessory" wires through the firewall. They aren't real heavy guage, but they should power a CB.

------------------
    1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Old 03-13-2001, 08:56 PM
    Hi Y'all, Just a quick note about reception, SWR, etc.... reception of any radio signal is a function of many factors. The most common are the placement or location of the antenna on your vehicle, the transmission power and antenna placement of the person (station) you are trying to receive, and the sensitivity of your receiver (there are others). For best results mount your antenna (any antenna) as high and as close to the center of the vehicle as possible. For example... If the antenna is mounted on the front fender the reception (and transmission for that matter) will be better ahead of the vehicle than behind. In that case the cab tends to reduce the efficiency and sensitivity since it is "shadowed" by the cab.

Next, SWR refers to the "tuning" or adjutment of the antenna's lenght for the frequency(s) you are using. This will be somewhat affected by the mounting location but primarily on the length of the "whip" or vertical section of the antenna. It is common to tune it for the least SWR at the center of the band you are using it for and after it has been mounted. For example if you have a 40 channel CB, tune it at channel 20. If you only use one channel, tune it for that channel. Hope this helps... XLT_D.

Old 03-15-2001, 02:20 PM
    nomo --

Are these wires easily marked (i.e., easy to locate)?

Any chance they would have been used by the alarm guys when they installed my alarm?

Thanks,

Santa

------------------

Old 03-15-2001, 06:24 PM
    Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mjsii:
    nomo --

Are these wires easily marked (i.e., easy to locate)?
    </font>
    Just pull the fuse-panel cover (below steering wheel) and look around. Mine are just sticking out of the firewall. Seems they are labeled- most definitely different colors. I'd look (& take a pic), but my truck is still in the shop.

Old 03-18-2001, 08:05 PM
    NoMo -

Thanks for the info. I just got back from a weekend away, so now I'll have to wait until next weekend to get out and "make it work."

But thanks to you -- and everyone else -- for all the guidance!

Santa

Search this Thread
    Quick Reply: Wiring CB into Fuse Box