Built 4R70W

Old 02-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Built 4R70W

I am going to be putting nitrous on my truck soon and was wondering if anyone knows who makes a good built up 4R70W. I don't plan to change the trans out till it blows but I want to get an idea on how much it will cost when it does blow.

BTW its a 99 F-150 4x4 w/ 5.4

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Cost wise...I gan give you an idea...

Adding my 2 cents....

That trans is basically an E4OD.
The R470W....and the 4R100(as I think its called) are all the same animal...just with upgraded components...valve bodies....planetary sets (aluminum vs. steel) ....and I the output shaft...and I think the band materials are better in the new ones. Probably some other items too....but it is the same animal basically.

This should at least give you a "guess-timate" of what prices to expect.
From my personal experience....Ford will get you $3200 for an E40D....a rebuilt trans from Detroit (and you have to beat them over the head to do it)...a trans shop rebuild will cost you from $1600 - $2200 for the E40D.
I would add a on $$$ from there since they rape you more for the newer upgraded stuff.

For what its worth...your trans SHOULD be a bit stronger than the old E4OD...but the R4100W is the best and the strongest of this poorly designed transmission lineage.
They use that in the diesel Super Duties.

Hope that helps somewhat.

CiscoKiDD

Old 02-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Check out this thread from the supercharger section:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...t=transmission

Pumping nitrous into a 4x4 is going to mean that you are going to break a lot of parts. Count on a transfer case in addition to your transmission - the bad thing is there isn't a "high performance" build for the transfer case. If you have the 4x4 engaged you will probably replace a good portion of the front end parts. Do your homework. Read all the threads in the SuperCharger & TurboCharger forum as they a creating the HP that nitrous is capable of - they have probably gone over the issues of upgrading all the components necessary for higher HP.

Good Luck,

T

Old 02-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Re: Cost wise...I gan give you an idea...

Originally posted by CiscoKiDD

That trans is basically an E4OD.
The R470W....and the 4R100(as I think its called) are all the same animal...just with upgraded components...
I think you're a bit confused on the application here. The 4R100 is the evolution of the E4OD transmission. The 4R70W is the evolution of the AOD & AOD-E transmissions. Different transmission families.

Ford Rulez All,

Before you decide on a replacement, you'll want to be certain of which transmisison you have because Ford offered the 4R100 and the 4R70W with the 5.4L engine in 1999.

U=4R70W
E=4R100

If you have the 4R100, Factory Tech's monster box is strong.

If you have the 4R70W, there's not a whole lot you can do to toughen it up. The only difference between the 4R70W behind a 5.4L F-150 and the 4R70W behind the 3.8L Mustang is on additional clutch pack.

Lentech makes a strong 4R70W for under $2500.00, as does Performance Automatic. All you really need to do though is add a shift kit, or replace the current valve body. You'll also want to replace the intermediate shaft at some point. They tend to break under high torque, stressful applications. When I was speaking with a transmission tech who handles a lot of the MN State Patrol Crown Vics, he said the number one failure, when they actually break their transmissions, is the intermediate shaft. It is the weakest point of the 4R70W.

Last edited by AjRagno; 02-14-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4R70W and the 4R100 and not in the least bit alike, the biggest thing they have in common is the Ford Oval on the side.

The intermediate shaft is the weak link in a 4R70W, there is actually quite a lot you can do to one, I'm testing some now under conditions pretty similar to what you want to do, should be ready to sell by summer.

If you have a 4R100, we have a great program in place already. The Monster Box sells for $3120, free shipping to your shop or door, 2 year warranty that covers a new transmission, shipping and the labor to have it installed and all Monster Boxes ship with a Factory Tech Total Domination Converter (which alone sells for $950)
We also make really good valve body shift improvers for the 4R100 and the 4R70W as well as converters for both transmissions in both "budget performance" or "price be damned just the best darn converter made" price range.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help you in any way.

G

Old 02-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Cost wise...I gan give you an idea...

For what its worth...your trans SHOULD be a bit stronger than the old E4OD...but the R4100W is the best and the strongest of this poorly designed transmission lineage.
This is the least informed statement in a very inaccurate post.

The 4R100 (E40D family) is designed to handle 1000 lb/ft of torque from the factory. This is better than just about every transmission I aware of from all of the other manufacturers.

Moreover, Gregg Evan's (Factory_Tech) Monster Box (a built 4R100) will handle 2400 lb/ft of torque. I am not aware of any other transmission that even comes close to those numbers.

-Don

Old 02-18-2004, 08:31 PM
I have a 2001 Supercrew 4x4 5.4L with a Trango shift kit installed ($100.00) at 11,000 miles. I put a Kenne Bell supercharger on it a year ago running 10 # boost. The truck has 56,500 miles on it, 20,000 miles with the Kenne Bell; no complaints yet. The truck is not babied - I like driving it like a truck, hard!. I got to believe that if my 5400 # truck can pull or carry a lot of weight, it can easily handle superchargers or the like with the stock transmission with a valve body upgrade or shift kit. I look forward to getting well over 150K with my current setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Built 4R70W