Help! Direction of Gibson Muffler??

Old 02-02-2000, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Direction of Gibson Muffler??

What direction should the Gibson Catback Muffler be installed? If I look into the openings, the circular wall has "raised dimples" the other end has "open dimples".

Which end is inlet? I'm guessing the "Open Bumps" end but am not sure.

Help!

Old 02-02-2000, 11:21 PM
you bought the muffler alone, and not the whole system?

I bought the whole system for mine, and the inlet opening for the muffler is much bigger in diameter than the oulet. The inlet was so much bigger that the system required an adapter for the muffler to fit on the headpipe. I also had 2 outlet's, so it was easy.

If the inlet and outlet are the same size, then I'm sorry, but I don't know what to tell you....maybe someone else can.

------------------
'97 F150 4x4 Off-Road Extended Cab Lariat Flareside white/tan, tan leather, 4.6, 3.55

bedliner
single-lid toolbox
Gibson 2.5" split-rear exit cat-back exhaust
K&N Air Filter

Many more modifications to come

Old 02-03-2000, 09:24 AM
Question

Sorry, should have gave more info. I have the Gibson Swept Side Kit - single 3in openings on each end of muffler. And yes, this system also has an adapter to connect the 3 inch Gibson to the 2.5 inch Ford headpipe. The Gibson installation instructions are great except for specifying the direction of the exhaust flow through the muffler.

Old 02-03-2000, 01:32 PM
Talking

Open louvers is inlet. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2000, 04:22 PM
has anybody bought a Gibson muffler by itself?? i notice the system is around $240 but how much for just a muffler????

Old 02-03-2000, 04:49 PM
PONY6 BY ONLY INSTALLING A MUFFLER YOU WILL NOT GET THE TOTAL PERFORMANCE DUE TO YOUR STOCK SYSTEM IS NOT MANDREL BENT AND THATS WHERE THE PERFORMANCE IS ACHEIVED THREW MANDREL BENDING.

------------------
john carney gibson performance

Old 02-03-2000, 05:16 PM
Question

dealgib,

What is "Mandrel Bending"? Uniformity, variable wall thikness...etc

How and why does it impact performance?

Is performance also enhanced by the larger 3" diameter?

Old 02-03-2000, 06:53 PM
Cool

MANDREL BENDING IS A PROCESS OF BENDING THE PIPE WITH OUT SHRINKING OR CRIMPING IT'S DIAMITER. IF YOU LOOK AT YOUR STOCK SYSTEM IT LOOSES ITS INNER DIAMETER AT THE BENDS THIS CAUSES UNEEDED BACK PRESSURE. AND THE POINT OF A PERFORMANCE EXHAUST IS TO FREE UP UNEEDED BACK PRESSURE. SO IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION MANDREL BENDING IS BENDING THE PIPE WILL MAINTAINING EVEN FLOW.AND YES A SINGLE LARGER DIAMETER EXHAUST IS THE MOST PERFORMING.

Old 02-04-2000, 12:52 AM
Lightbulb

IF YOUR MUFFLER IS A OFFSET MUFFLER THAN WHEN YOU LOOK INTO THE MUFFLER ONE SIDE WILL HAVE A SHORT TUBE WITH OPEN LOUVERS AND THE OTHER SIDE WILL HAVE A LONG TUBE WITH CLOSED LOUVERS. THE SHORT TUBE WITH OPEN LOUVERSIS THE INLET. GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-04-2000, 01:05 AM
dealgib, have the sweptside installed but did not check to see which side was which but the muffler had a side marked inlet should I have looked or are they all marked with a little stick on piece marked inlet and what diffrence will it maked putting it on wrong? thanks

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N Airbox Mod/Gibson Sweptside/Westin Black nerfs and now SuperChiped

Old 02-04-2000, 01:48 AM
dealgib,
I'm no automotive engineer I'm in the medical field but don't you need some back pressure or else you loose some of your low end torque? If I'm wrong please correct me, I'm trying to learn. This is a great site for learning.

------------------
1999 Harvest Gold F-150 4x2 SuperCab XLT Styleside, 4.6, Auto, Air box Mods, Tow Pkg, Alarm, Snug-Top Hard Tonneau cover(painted to match), 6-disk Pioneer CD changer, Kenwood Tri-Band Ham radio (2m,440,220), Billet grille, Bug Deflector, Clear corner lights, tinted front windows.

Planned Mods: Cat back exhaust, Headers, Superchip, 2/3 inch lower.

Old 02-04-2000, 08:50 AM
My understanding is you will get some (enough?) back pressure from the Catalytic Converter and then a little more from even a "free" exhaust. I think.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!) Almost completed the Towing Pkg. options, MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening, Bosch Platinum + 4's, Hayden 30K+ Tranny Cooler, Superchip on the way!

Old 02-04-2000, 07:02 PM
MIKE150 IF YOUR SYSTEM WAS MARKED INLET OR OUTLETAND AND THATS THE WAY YOU INSTALLED IT THAN YOUR KIT IS FINE ON SOME APLICATIONS THE MUFFLER CAN BE ROTATED FOR A DEEPER SOUND. BUT THE WAY YOU INSTALLED YOURS IS PROPER FOR OPTIMAL PERFORMACE.
GOLDIE-YOU ARE CORRECT YOU DO NEED BACK PRESSURE FOR LOW END AND TORQUE PERFORMANCE THIS IS MAINTAINED THREW THE MUFFLER AND CAT. PRESSURE AFTER THE MUFFLER IS NOT NEEDED AND IS A BURDEN ON PERFORMANCE THAT IS WHY A MANDREL BENT TAIL PIPE ASSEMBLY IS BEST FOR PERFORMANCE IT ALLOWS A FREE FLOW AFTER THE MUFFLER.OUR SYSTEM TAKES A STOCK BACK PRESSURE OF 66% FLOW WITH 34% RESTRICTION TO A 95% FLOW WITH A 5% RESTRICTION. THIS IS OPTIMAL FOR LOW AND MID RANGE PERFORMANCE. REMEMBER IF THIS HURT YOUR SYSTEM AT ALL IT WOULD NOT COMPLY WITH A MANUFACTURERS VEHICLE WARRANTY LIKE IT DOES.
CPHILIP YOU ARE ALSO 100% CORRECT UTILIZING THE STOCK CONVERTER AND OUR PATENTED MUFFLER PREMIUM PRESSURE IS PROVIDED.
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR COMMENTS THEY WERE ALL GOOD QUESTIONS.

------------------
john carney gibson performance

Old 02-05-2000, 12:17 AM
dealgib, Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N Airbox Mod/Gibson Sweptside/Westin Black nerfs and now SuperChiped

Old 02-06-2000, 09:49 PM
Question

Dealgib:

Cosmetic question (and maybe muffler life extension??)

I'm about to install the Sweptside NON-Stainless). Would a coat of high temp paint on the the muffler/pipe burn off?

What is your thoughts on the range of temperatures on the pipe & muffler?

I was as able to locate some 1500 oF paint. Would this burn off?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Direction of Gibson Muffler??