Pre-1997 Models

Twin-I-Beam suspension

Old 12-31-2003, 12:48 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin-I-Beam suspension

is the twin i beam suspension really a piece of dookey? i`ve heard some critics of it,but i like its durability.

Old 12-31-2003, 03:27 PM
As long as you realize IT'S A TRUCK there's nothing wrong with the twin I-beams. They are durable as can be, sometimes at the price of uneven tire wear and other alignment issues. The problem comes when people start driving them like sports cars. There are some really ugly camber changes that hapen in the front end when you corner them hard which can result in a loss of front end traction. The twin A-arm suspensions are much more docile. Ford largely solved this on the Gen I Lightnings, so it's not insurmountable.

Old 12-31-2003, 05:51 PM
I never had tire wear problems with my truck but i had new coil springs. When the springs sag the camber changes and causes a lot of wear. If you hang a plow off the front end without installing airbags things can get real nasty. I love the twin I-beam, i've had the truck airborne and never broke or bent the stock front end.

-Jon

Old 12-31-2003, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill put it to you this way.... Ive had near 10 F series trucks, some 2wd some 4wd. Ive NEVER broken a twin I beam front end.

Ive has all the bushings wear out and the ball joints go to hell.... but they stayed togather.

The big things to keep up on is the tie rods, radius arm bushings, and I beam pivot bushings. the pivot bushings cause alot of the rattles and the negative issues.
Yes, its murder when you put a plow on them, my 84 F250 wasnt too happy with that, and they handle pretty good with a good alignment and good tires. My lightning handles like a sports car.

I like the I beam front ends, sure they have there draw backs, but I havent broked one yet and thats a good thing.

Old 01-01-2004, 03:35 PM
For 2wd desert/baja off-roading the twin-beams are ideal.

There's tons of baja shops around here and actually do I-beam conversions on newer Fords and on Chevys.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:50 PM
yup, you can get some hella suspension travel with a 3' long arm!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twin-I-Beam suspension