Pre-1997 Models

Replacing the rear main seal

Old 12-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Replacing the rear main seal

Need some directions on replacing the rear main seal on a 1992 F150 2WD Automatic 5.0L.

thanks.

Old 12-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Well basically you need to remove the transmission and flexplate (or flywheel). If you have a manual this is a good time to install a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel.

If you have the trans out, I'd go ahead and install new motor mounts, new oil pump, and new oil pan gasket...you are just in need of a few hours more work for all that stuff.

In the driveway, I'd budget most of a day and get a buddy to help.

Hope that helps some...

Old 12-08-2003, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup... Its a one piece seal. the trans has to come out to change that one.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:53 PM
I am actualy in the middle of taking mine out and replacing it, what is the best way to get it out, my manual says to use a slide hammer and pull it out that way or use a screwdriver and very carefully pry it out. my seal is all rubber and looks like it could take some work to get out is this the right way, and looks like a slide hammer could just tear it up? I realy want to replace the pan gasket as well as motor mounts but its so damn cold out right now, truck is outside and its low 40's hight 30's.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:05 PM
I've seen people pull the old one by screwing a screw into the old seal and pullin it out. You need a special tool to install it.

Workin in the cold sucks, but I sure as heck wouldn't wanna do that job twice. Bundle up and finish it, you can do it...then drink a case of beer after!

Old 12-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Thanks I will try the screw trick that sounds like it might work, I saw in the manual that there was a special tool so I guess I will go pick one up when I get the new pan/rear stuff.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by blksn955.o
Thanks I will try the screw trick that sounds like it might work, I saw in the manual that there was a special tool so I guess I will go pick one up when I get the new pan/rear stuff.
I read that somewhere but can't remember where. That tool to install that seal you could probably rent from O'Reilly or Auto Zone.

If you replace the pan gasket, I recommend a standard vol and standard flow Melling pump. Good quality and not too expensive.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:34 PM
my G/F dad owns a snap-on franchise and he has let me use some tools before. But IF he does not have the tool I will go to autozone.

Old 12-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by blksn955.o
my G/F dad owns a snap-on franchise and he has let me use some tools before. But IF he does not have the tool I will go to autozone.
Ah man! That woman's a great catch.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:37 PM
I know I'm a little late, but I did this job less than a year ago. I found when I pulled my rear seal that there was a nick on the crank. I bought a repair sleeve from NAPA for $12. You clean the crank real good, coat the end of the crank heavily with red loctite and drive the repair sleeve over the crank with a wood block. Let it set a little while, wipe clean any excess loctite with thinner then drive the new rear main seal on. Its worth the extra $5 to go to the dealership and buy the ford seal, no autozone crap. The job took me about 4hrs. I have 92' f150, 4x4, aod trans. No more leak and been about a year and still going good. Hope that helps. BTW, don't forget the repair sleeve, I would never do this job without one. Probably should buy it before you tear it down, took about 4days for mine to come in.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:45 PM
All this talk about leaking rear mains makes me want to replace mine!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing the rear main seal