difference between 255/70/16 & 265/75/16?

Old 12-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question difference between 255/70/16 & 265/75/16?

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting some new tires for my truck. I am thinking that I'm going to go with the Dueler Revos. My only question is in what size.

The truck came stock with 255/70/16, which the Revos are available in - just as a passanger tire. I'm thinking I would like to go with a LT (light truck) tire instead; and of course Bridgestone doesn't make an LT version of the 255/70/16. They do make one in 265/75/16 (several different load ranges available actaully).

I used the MPH/Tire size calcs and know that at 60 mph my true speed would be ~63 mph. Where this might not bother most people it would bother me. My first question, is there anyway to get my computer reprogramed (possibly the dealer) and does anyone know what sort of cost is associated with this change? And the amount of time that the vehicle would be needed for?

My second question is more of a subjective one: Going to a 31.6 inch tire from a 30 inch tire going to cause much (if any) lag in the vehicle? I have a 4.6L, 4R70W, and 3.55 LS gears.

P.s. What is the rim width on factory 5 spoke wheels?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 12-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Depending on what year your truck is, you may not have to get it programmed...some of the older trucks use gears in the back on the transmission housing I believe.

Old 12-06-2003, 07:48 PM
It's a 2002.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Yours is computer controlled. A microtuner can reset the tire size as well as a dealership.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:19 AM
The microtuner - is that used as a "one-time shot"; hook it up, change the info, then disconnect it? Or do you need to leave it connected?

The reason I ask is, if its the latter I'll just ask someone local to me if I can borrow theirs just to reprogram my computer and then give them a little $$ for makeing their tuner available to me.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 12-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Steve, they just hook up, change it and disconnect.

However, you may not even notice such a small change in tire size.

Also, do not assume your current speedo reading is correct. 60 to 63 mph difference is only 5% difference. Because of manufacturing tolerances, your speedo reading after installing the larger tires has an equally good chance of being more accurate as it does of being less accurate.

Scott D

Old 12-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that the aftermarket computer tuners "marry" themselves to one truck's computer and can't be used on a second vehicle. I assume this is to keep people from buying one tuner and using it on a dozen of their friends trucks.

Old 12-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I replaced the factory Wrangler AP 255/70/16 with
Michelin LTX M/S 265/70/16.

The factory tires had lost a nearly a half inch of tread compared to the spare so, that would be nearly an inch less in diameter.
Add to that the new tire was a half inch more than the factory spare and you have a total of 1.5 inches.

Here is what I found out about the 1.5 inches.
A 634 trip became a 604 mile trip.
Other drivers don't seem to be speeding like they used to.
Going from AP to LT was a noticably firmer ride.
(the bed of my truck squeaked for the first 100 miles after the change)
Acceleration feels like I've got a load of bricks in the bed.

I realize that the actual difference in the two tires is 1/2 inch and the other inch of difference came gradually over a five year period but, jumping a 1.5 inch difference instantly is a shock and you should prepare yourself for it.

Old 12-07-2003, 03:18 PM
You can't borrow your friends change stuff then give it back. Wandell is right, they can only be used on one truck at a time. They are hooked up then disconnected after you've changed the settings, but it can only be used on 1 truck at a time. The companies did that to prevent people from buying 1 controller and using it on hundreds of trucks that could have been potential sales. The only way it will work is if you have a REALLY good friend and gives his to you or you go out and buy one.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by powerstroke73
You can't borrow your friends change stuff then give it back. Wandell is right, they can only be used on one truck at a time. They are hooked up then disconnected after you've changed the settings, but it can only be used on 1 truck at a time. The companies did that to prevent people from buying 1 controller and using it on hundreds of trucks that could have been potential sales. The only way it will work is if you have a REALLY good friend and gives his to you or you go out and buy one.
It very well may be that way - BUT,

I see a lot of potential problems as with that scenario. Listing a few that come to mind quickly:
-What happens if a person buys it, uses it, and for some reason doesn't want it anymore (sold truck or maybe just didn't like it)? If it can only be used on one truck, then his SOL.
-What happens if a person bought it, used it, then their PCM died and they had to replace it (the PCM)? Then what, the tuner is going to see that its connected to a new computer (i.e. someone elses truck) - will it work?

All of these, and more, are questions that I don't have the answers to. I could understand that I would only work on one truck if you had to leave it connected - that I could understand. But so far people have expressed both opinions as to how it works.

And for those of you who may be saying that I would "stealing" or "pirating" (sp?) this ability - I have this to say; have you ever let someone use your computer for anything, or have you ever used someone elses computer for something that they may have installed? If so, did that person doing the borrowing own their own licenses of all of the software that they used? Same goes with the mp3's that are floating out there.

What I am asking for is not solely offered by a Micro Tuner. One could go to the dealership and pay an overly inflated price to get the same code changed; in this scenario Micro Tuner gets no money, but the end result is still the same. I personnaly, if the device (and an owner of a device) is capable of doing what the dealership could do, then I would much give them money (and maybe a couple beers).

Steve

Old 12-07-2003, 06:45 PM
What I am saying is that the microtuner can be used on only 1 truck at a time. If your friend has it on his truck and then takes it off to use on yours he looses all the programing that was in his truck. The same goes for your truck when he goes to put it back on his truck. Its a safety lock that the manufacturer puts in the tuner to keep people from programing all their friends trucks so they can sell more tuners. If you buy the tuner and you sell your truck you take the programming out and then put it into the new one. Its not a case of simply buying this and its good for use on 1 specific truck only, its only good for use on ONE TRUCK AT A TIME. What the tuner does is it locks in the ID for the PCM and while that is locked in it cannot be used on another truck. To unlock the code you need to be plugged into your truck and when it unlocks the code it removes the programing it did.

Old 12-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello SteveB,

You do have other options the Cooper AT comes in a LT255/70-16 and is a good tire, check it out.

Cooper Discoverer AT
http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Prod...=LtTruck&id=21

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: difference between 255/70/16 & 265/75/16?