2004 - 2008 F-150

rear end slipping on take off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear end slipping on take off.

Has anyone else had any luck with the dealer solving the rear end slippage issue?

I have a 04 4x4 lariat screw with the 373 limited slip rear end. I took it to the dealer the other day and had them look into this issue and had my first oil change. When I picked it up the service writer explained that this is not a new problem. They experienced the same problem with 03 trucks as well. They put some anti friction lube in the rear end and lubricated the yoke in the driveshaft.

This has not solved the problem, and has created a bigger problem. The rear end still slips some time when pulling from a stop. But now the drivetrain in in a bind. This is noticiable on the highway. At 70 mph the truck was at 1800 rpms, now to maintain this speed I have to run at 2000 rpms. The other issue is when the truck is in 4h the front end clicks loudly and the vibration from the front end can be felt in the steering wheel.

Its back at the dealer today, I'll post the outcome.

I know ford will solve this issue, and there will always be a blue oval in the driveway.

Old 11-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Could you describe what you feel/hear when the rear end is slipping?

My 04 has a kind of jerk, very light, maybe two of them, just as throttle is applied from dead stop, accelerating. I've never felt this in any other vehicle I've owned. Not annoying at all, just weird. The truck runs great, gets good mileage, rolls very easily.

Old 11-26-2003, 01:26 PM
My truck 04 Lariat,373 gear runs at 2000 at 70 mph.
I don't have a problem with LSD.

Let us know what the outcome is when you get the
truck back.
Good luck.

Mike

Old 11-26-2003, 03:15 PM
bikelover...!

I have the exact same thing happening in mine - 04' XLT S-Crew. Thought it was in my head and didn't want to think something was wrong but it has me concerned... If you roll into the throttle EASY on takeoff you hardly ever notice it but if you mash it even a little just to take on off it does this. Any body know what is up - Thanks!

Old 11-26-2003, 04:36 PM
dealer response

I talked to the mech. when I picked it up. He has ordered a new drive shaft for it. His thinking is that the yoke has to tight of a fit and on take off it does not slide easily. When the drive shaft comes in, He said he was going to check to see if the tork converter is locking up. The mech. also stated in the past they have loosened the clutch pack in the rear end, but he said this would adversly effect the limited slip thus elimnate its effectivness.

The vibration and clicking noise when engauging the transfercase to 4x4. He said the heat shield on the catilic converter was rubbing on the front shaft. (I dont by this, but I no longer have a issue with it. I looked at the sheild and the shaft and could not find where the two had been rubbing)

New drive shaft will be in the first week of dec. I will update everone then.

Old 11-26-2003, 05:27 PM
my 97's back end has always had a little bit of a jerk from a dead stop. Running at 2000rpms @ 70mph isn't too bad actually.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:15 PM
with a 3:73 rear end, 5.4l and 18" tires, my fx4 runs under 2000rpm @ 70mph. probably around 1800. burns a lot of gas anyway though!

Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 PM
My '04 Lariat Screw 4X4 3.73LS has the same shudder on take-off from a dead stop. My '01 had it to but eventually seemed to fade away as the truck aged. Don't really mind it but wonder what the long-term effects are. Anyone had major rear-end issues that were traced back to this issue?

Old 11-27-2003, 10:20 AM
I have the same shudder or vibration-taking place when starting from a complete stop. This has been a problem with other new "04" truck owners as well.

Another post-called "vibration" received 35 messages with the same problem. I'm not sure how much of a problem it is, but do not feel it should be taking place with a new vehicle. I hope Ford finds a solution to the problem.

Old 11-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Superdog
with a 3:73 rear end, 5.4l and 18" tires, my fx4 runs under 2000rpm @ 70mph. probably around 1800. burns a lot of gas anyway though!
18 tires... that must be a bitch to get down the road

Old 11-27-2003, 06:31 PM
wheels/tires. whatever those round things are the truck rides on.

Old 11-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Mine tends to slip only when it is cold. Once everything warms up, it does not have the problem. I am not that worried about it and will wait until the Ford mechanics figure it out. I have plenty of warranty left

Old 11-27-2003, 10:23 PM
I just hate to have a new truck that already something like this is happening on. I'll chalk it up to getting the bugs out on a new truck - but I would expect them to find the fix and do it for everybody. - Mister Ed I'm interested in your outcome.

Old 11-27-2003, 11:04 PM
could it be a limited slip solution instead of NO SLIP ?

Old 11-27-2003, 11:42 PM
here a few idea's,

what ford calls Vibration/Boom in driveline.
cure, replace driveshaft.

stuck/sticking slip yoke
cure, lube or replace slip yoke and driveshaft assm.

improper torque of driveshaft yoke flange at transfer case.
cure, remove drive flange inspect for spline damage if none
replace and retorque to spec.

by far the most commom cause of rear shudder/slip and other misbehavior has been improper or not enough friction modifier
additive.
cure drain and refill with spec lube (synthetic i think for the new f150) and add two tubes of motocraft friction modifier (the stinky
stuff). Drive truck in figure 8's for a while to distribute lube.

all of these problems and fixes are from Ford TSB's for recent MY
F-150's.

I always go for the incorrect lube/modifier first, it's real common
on f150 and expeditions.

good luck,

Quick Reply: rear end slipping on take off.