2004 - 2008 F-150

FMC Electric Brake wire hookup

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FMC Electric Brake wire hookup

Just left a dealer and saw that FMC includes a separate wire harness to install under the dash for use with electric trailer brakes.

Ok, I this baffles me.

Is this a must to do, if so what if I install it and then not use it as my boat trailer has surge brakes but my work trailer has electric brakes. Some detailed information is welcomed.

Old 11-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Re: FMC Electric Brake wire hookup

Originally posted by skiultr
Just left a dealer and saw that FMC includes a separate wire harness to install under the dash for use with electric trailer brakes.

Ok, I this baffles me.

Is this a must to do, if so what if I install it and then not use it as my boat trailer has surge brakes but my work trailer has electric brakes. Some detailed information is welcomed.
Must do for what?...to pull a trailer w/electric brakes?...good question...I just wired mine up myself, and I think that if you did not use an electric brake control...you would just be stuck with whatever sensitivity the trailer brakes get from the truck (no adjustment). Like I said I just wired mine and it was really simple...(using the instructions included w/the FMC harness)

Old 11-01-2003, 09:49 PM
On a semi-related subject, my 99 scab with trailer tow package came with the wiring plug for the trailer wiring hookup. My new lariat did not come with such a plug, although it is there under the bumper. It does have a separate 4-pin plug. I know this may sound confusing, I dont know if I am articulating myself correctly, but can anyone explain the significance of that?

Old 11-02-2003, 11:07 AM
This harness was wrapped in plastic and had install instructions and it did come with the trcuk-Lariat w/ tow pkg. To be more specific, do I hool this up along with an aftermarket device to use my electric brakes on my 22' enclosed trailer?

Old 11-02-2003, 12:38 PM
You must use an aftermarket brake controller to utilize the trailer brakes on electric brake trailers. Ford provides the wiring harness that you must match up with the wires on a brake controller. Once that is done, you can simply plug it into a connector under the dash. The truck is prewired to the 7 prong plug in the back. There are also 2 relays that come in the package with the wiring harness that must be plugged into the fuse panel in the passenger side footwell. I've been using the same brake controller for 3 trucks now. I simply plug it into the connector under the dash. Ford hasn't changed the connector.

Old 11-02-2003, 01:47 PM
ahhhh, I get it now. Thanks for the post. Hey wait--do you leave it plugged in all the time?

Last edited by skiultr; 11-02-2003 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by skiultr
ahhhh, I get it now. Thanks for the post. Hey wait--do you leave it plugged in all the time?

you don't have to...but it would be a pain to unplug it all the time

Old 11-20-2003, 12:14 AM
Brake Controller

I'm planning to install an electric brake controller on my 2001 XLT. I heard that a time delayed controller is better than an inertia activated controller. Is this true? Is there one type or manufacturer of braker controllers that are better than others?

Old 11-20-2003, 04:59 AM
I installed the electric brake set up a few weeks ago for my 16 foot flat bed with electric brakes. Got the controler at my local auto parts. wired it to the Ford harness and it plugged right in. Works great, however finding a place for that controler took somework. Ford it appears, placed a couple of metal "tangs" under the drivers side dash, I guess (hope) were intended for aftermarket equipment. I used the one the right, above the gas pedal to mount the small black brake controler. It has a little light that is green when you have a trailer plugged in, and is orange to red when you apply your brakes. (depending on the setting).

One of the few problems I can say I have found is the lack of ANYKIND of space for aftermarket in the cab. Mainly no place for a small commercial 2 way radio or even a (Grin) CB if you have the flow thru. I am going to mount my small Motorola VHF I think INSIDE the console. Anywhere eles involves drilling holes where they could be seen later or looks weird.

my ride:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3309

Old 11-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by bvfd10
Mainly no place for a small commercial 2 way radio or even a (Grin) CB if you have the flow thru. I am going to mount my small Motorola VHF I think INSIDE the console. Anywhere eles involves drilling holes where they could be seen later or looks weird.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3309

I'm going to convert an Overhead console to hold my CB and hide the wiring -- figure it will be done by the New year

Old 11-20-2003, 10:30 AM
Mainly no place for a small commercial 2 way radio or even a (Grin) CB if you have the flow thru. I am going to mount my small Motorola VHF I think INSIDE the console. Anywhere eles involves drilling holes where they could be seen later or looks weird.
Radio Shack carries a product called Sure Lock Velcro that works really well for mounting small two way radios to plastic or metal. I have been using it for a couple of years to mount small gps antennas on top of cabs and haven't had one come off yet. My brother used it to mount his motorola two way to the left side of the flow thru and its worked out great.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by BIGMACFX4
I'm going to convert an Overhead console to hold my CB and hide the wiring -- figure it will be done by the New year
I hope there will be an aftermarket kit for the overhead rails to do that. I wanna keep my CB in my truck, but with it being so large and having the flow-thru, there's no place to put it. Maybe that's a job opportunity for you!

Old 11-20-2003, 03:22 PM
I appreciate the idea on the velcro, I have a "moon roof" so I dont have the top rail storage, so I have to do something different.

Thanks again !

Old 11-20-2003, 03:49 PM
those tangs under the driver side dash are perfect mounting spots

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...4952-76628.jpg

Quick Reply: FMC Electric Brake wire hookup