SuperCrew

Extra Key: Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra Key: Cost?

Hey guys I need your help here. I just went to the local Ford Dealer to get an extra key made for my 01 SCrew and was quoted $60. Does it really cost this much to have the key made and programmed? Seems alittle high to me. Maybe that is the going rate....I don't know?
Thanks, Mark

Old 09-15-2003, 02:21 PM
That sounds about right. The key is a PATS (Passive Anti Theft System - or Securilock) key - it has a microchip inside it. If you have 2 keys (you'll need the 2 originals for 1998 and later models or only 1 for pre 1998), you can make a copy yourself. If you don't have both originals, I think you're stuck going to the dealer. My dealer told me when I bought my truck to be careful with the keys becaus it would cost about $80 to have a replacement made. I found instructions on one of the other Ford sites (http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.htm) and made myself a couple of spares. Luckily, I haven't had to break into my stash yet (Knock on wood).

Old 09-15-2003, 02:39 PM
THANKS. I just finished a search here and found some material about the PATS keys. It was dated (pre 2001) but is probably up to date as far as the PATS. Seeing that I only have 1 key ,it looks like I am at the mercy of the Ford Dealership.
Thanks, Mark

Old 09-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Keys

My extra key cost $40.00 if you have 2 original keys you can do the programming of subsequent keys yourself by following the instructions in your manual.

Good luck.

Old 09-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Check on eBay Motors. I bought a HD key for $20 and programed it using the two keys I already had.

Old 09-15-2003, 08:22 PM
Yeah that is the problem....I only have one key. So that means I am at the mercy of the dealer. I talked to the Service Mgr (I sold him a motorhome) and I think that they will help me out some.
Thanks for all the input..............mark

Old 09-15-2003, 09:58 PM
If memory serves, $60.00 is what I payed. The blank was $29, and half hour labor. The dealer cannot read the factory code on the PATS system, but they can erase the code. So, they need the truck and both original keys. (Or the one you still have if the second was lost or you bought used and never had both)

They erase the security code from the keys and the truck and recode them all including the new key(s) you want with a new code. Any subsequent keys you request will not cost as much as they will now be able to get the code and can just cut you a new key and code it.

BTW....one of the things I told my salesman I wanted in order to buy my '01 was that I wanted a total of 3 keys. He readily agreed to that requirement. You should have seen the expression on his face when he came back into the room after finding out how much a key cost! LOL! He said something like "you must have known about the cost of a key when you walked in here" ! hehehe

I found out about the high cost of replacement keys when I had one made for my previous truck to use in a transponder box so that the remote starter I was having installed would operate correctly.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:25 AM
H13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ebay is the way to go.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:42 AM
I bought my extra key at True Value Hardware...I bought one in 2001 and just bought another last week....2001-$20.00
2003-$21.00.......I programmed it myself, which is an easy task as long as you have two programmed keys in your possession. This is the number one reason to keep 3 programmed keys- If you have two keys and lose one, you have to take it to the dealer and have them reprogram your keys to your vehicle. If you have three keys and lose one, you can go to True Value Hardware, buy a key, have them cut it and go outside to your truck and program it yourself. The instructions are in your owner’s manual. If you can get it off ebay for 10 or 12 bucks, go for it, but if you pay 25 them shipping and then pay to have it cut, you are paying WAY too much.
Good Luck Ed

Just an added note: I hated losing my keys last month (First time in more than 15 years) , but it was at least bearable because I had enough keys to program one myself.

Last edited by S'CrewLoose; 09-16-2003 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Thanks, LooseScrew.......I mean,,,, ScrewLoose.

Never thought to check True Value Hardware. Seems with all the Home Depot type stores, we forget about some of the smaller type hardware stores.

Old 09-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Just wanted to make a quick correction/note, although I think They have merged...I got my key at an Ace Hardware....I am thinking they are now known as.....

Ace/True Value

Old 09-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by H13
ebay is the way to go.
Correct. eBay holds the ticket to $15 key blanks and $10 keyless entry remotes

Old 09-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Today I went to Ace Hardware on Hwy 54 East in Fayettville, GA, and bought a new key for $17 including cutting. What a deal. Programed it and it works great.

Thanks again for the Ace reference, S'Crewloose.

Quick Reply: Extra Key: Cost?